Default Re: how big a scumbag is my friend? you decide

[ QUOTE ]
omg -- a tie is a push.
nobody owes anyone anything.
on my scale of scumbags, i'd hardly even call him a
scumbag; just a jerk who values his friends' good
opinion less than $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet on person A and you bet on person B and they tie then it is a push. If I bet on person A to win and he doesn't win then I lose. It doesn't matter if it was a tie, he lost or he quit. If at the end of the hole person A is not the winner then I lose. I don't understand how this is complicated, person A didn't win. The bet was that he would win. Only a complete moron would think that somehow a tie is a push.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM

i can't believe this thread is happening on a gambling site.

OP: post this in sports betting forum here and see what they say.

(spoiler: they'll tell you that the person who demanded his money was correct)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
omg -- a tie is a push.
nobody owes anyone anything.
on my scale of scumbags, i'd hardly even call him a
scumbag; just a jerk who values his friends' good
opinion less than $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet on person A and you bet on person B and they tie then it is a push. If I bet on person A to win and he doesn't win then I lose. It doesn't matter if it was a tie, he lost or he quit. If at the end of the hole person A is not the winner then I lose. I don't understand how this is complicated, person A didn't win. The bet was that he would win. Only a complete moron would think that somehow a tie is a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why everyone's getting so bent out of shape over this. Obviously the way the bet was literally worded, a tie is not a push. However, the context of the bet matters as well. When there have been previous bets worded this way and a tie was considered a push, there is some precedent involved. There's no clear right or wrong in this situation; only a bunch of nits.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 PM

I've actually had the exact same situation come up, though in darts, not golf. I also showed the same outrage and indignation that you did. Unlike you, I regretted this. There is nothing wrong with this "angle" because given the wording your friend can be considered correct. Of course, you can counter this by saying that you tied for first, thus, there are 2 winners. In my situation there were bad feelings, poor words said, and no money exchanged hands. I certainly wish I had handled it better. One of my many tiny life regrets. Of course, I've learned from it. I'll not get so emotional/offended over a $1 bet again (hopefully), and I'll give more thought to my friends angles before reacting. Here's hoping you learn the correct lesson here.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't believe this thread is happening on a gambling site.

OP: post this in sports betting forum here and see what they say.

(spoiler: they'll tell you that the person who demanded his money was correct)

[/ QUOTE ]

OFT, honestly ppl I thought I had a lot to learn about gambling/poker but sheesh maybe I'm not the only one.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone said it earlier, but there are two types of gamblers, those that think it is some "noble endeavor" and those thing encourage angle shoots, and winning by wording. The latter is usually much much more fun, and more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
To me, the people who have enough common sense to understand the spirit of the bet, especially when it comes to their friends, are the ones who are most fun to gamble with. The others play a semantics game which gets old and annoying after about five minutes. If you think you're a better golfer than I, put your money where your mouth is, instead of "I'll bet you five bucks I won't not sink this ball not in the cup."

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. It's a total angleshoot and he's a scumbag for collecting. If he really thought that he would win on a tie, HE should clarify since its obvious the other parties did not think this is what the bet meant. This is the only right answer, I can't believe so many of your got it wrong. There should be no hustling of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 08-13-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are really out there hustling your friends like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? any of my friends would smile, call me a son of a bitch, than pull out their wallet and say good one. I would do the same.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM

I want my two dollars!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM

sensors indicate that OP is 80% likely to be fat
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone said it earlier, but there are two types of gamblers, those that think it is some "noble endeavor" and those thing encourage angle shoots, and winning by wording. The latter is usually much much more fun, and more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
To me, the people who have enough common sense to understand the spirit of the bet, especially when it comes to their friends, are the ones who are most fun to gamble with. The others play a semantics game which gets old and annoying after about five minutes. If you think you're a better golfer than I, put your money where your mouth is, instead of "I'll bet you five bucks I won't not sink this ball not in the cup."

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. It's a total angleshoot and he's a scumbag for collecting. If he really thought that he would win on a tie, HE should clarify since its obvious the other parties did not think this is what the bet meant. This is the only right answer, I can't believe so many of your got it wrong. There should be no hustling of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

[/ QUOTE ]

gambling is an exercise of the brain, nothing more or nothing less imo, and not something to "prove" how good you are at a specific event to anyone.