Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Lost Club Championship 22 holes. Should I have called penalty?

It's absolutely terrible form for him to NOT ask first, if it's match play. He's not allowed to just assume, even if you're friends.

If it's stroke play, then they're right, you don't have a choice and you won.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM

This is clearly match play, note that players are seeded.
This is just about you. He has already defined himself by not holeing the putt or waiting for it to be conceded and then wanting, or at least being willing to accept an after the fact concession. If you are comfortable in accepting a win this way just remain silent. If he just beat you to the concession you were going to make anyway and you want to win on the merits continue to play.

You are right with either answer.

Wally
Old 08-13-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how common is it to give putts for anyone above the level of twice a year beer drinking players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Universal. Even guys playing in the finals of the U.S. Amateur will routinely concede putts to each other...

In this case, the OP did the right thing here. His opponent did not. A player can never assume that a putt will be conceded. Period.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Man, I hate that he did that. I would have done what you did. Agree with the other poster in that he put you in a terrible position. For him to have been in that championship flight he should have known better. You probably don't want to win that way, but without a doubt I would not want to win the way he did (assuming he went on to win). If there ever was a time to put an asterick beside a win in the record books.....
Old 08-14-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how common is it to give putts for anyone above the level of twice a year beer drinking players?

[/ QUOTE ]It's matchplay guids, it's standard.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I hate that he did that. I would have done what you did. Agree with the other poster in that he put you in a terrible position. For him to have been in that championship flight he should have known better. You probably don't want to win that way, but without a doubt I would not want to win the way he did (assuming he went on to win). If there ever was a time to put an asterick beside a win in the record books.....

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely, he won't have much satisfaction from the win. How did the 22nd play out?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 AM

IMO, the guy should have manned up, accepted that he [censored] up, and shaken your hand and congratulated you on your victory. No real friend would put you in a tough position like that.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM

my brother and i were playing matchplay one weekend, and this exact scenario happened on the 17th hole, him up one, to finish it out 2+1...

i let it slide, except i made him tee off 18 with his pitching wedge...of course, no club championship was on the line, just the greens fees and a night of [censored]-talking...

fwiw, i got a par on 18, he bogied, and we both kissed our sister..
Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that 95% of all people who play(even serious players) give putts. Some may be more generous than others though. It's not just weak players. Myself and several of my friends are very strong players and we give each other putts when we play. It helps to speed up play and we just give everything inside the wrap so that it stays consistent. Really the only people who dont give putts are women. They are so nitty some times on the course and is part of the reason why women play so damn slow.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that 95% of all people who play(even serious players) give putts. Some may be more generous than others though. It's not just weak players. Myself and several of my friends are very strong players and we give each other putts when we play. It helps to speed up play and we just give everything inside the wrap so that it stays consistent. Really the only people who dont give putts are women. They are so nitty some times on the course and is part of the reason why women play so damn slow.

[/ QUOTE ]Women are crappy putters that's why they don't concede putts. And for clarity, obviously your example doesn't apply to medal play.