Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: John from Cincinatti finale

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad it's over, and hope I have the will power not to give it another chance next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't need much willpower. The show isn't coming back next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you promise? Has this been confirmed?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people who hated it seemed pretty unwilling to give anything different a shot, but oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tihs is silly. Most people who watched JFC in the first place were likely fans of Milch and of Deadwood - which was a very unique and stylized show. Difference was, Deadwood had interesting characters, JFC didn't. I'll stick with any weird storyline as long as the characters are compelling. These weren't.

Just my 2 cents but I get tired of the implication that always comes out when a critical favorite gets rejected by the mass audience. Which is that high pedigree yet ultimately crap shows must be too "difficult" for us unsophisticated viewers.

I'll give Milch a mulligan on this one given his track record. But I hope he focuses more on character than metaphysics next time.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Loved barry talking about his bears just sitting there not molesting eachother for once. Seeing Wu was sick and a great surprise. 'Butchie hurt my tit' was mildly amusing as well. Also Kass talking [censored] to spiro when recording was pretty lol.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM

I don't know Butchie instead
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought it was "Mother of God, Cass Kai," but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

I really didn't get this series at all, but I was mesmerized by it.

EDIT: Ok, that was an exaggeration. I did get it for the most part, but I am still confused as hell.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like puzzles, and stylized script-writing, so I liked the show. Most people who hated it seemed pretty unwilling to give anything different a shot, but oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS. I gave it a shot, hell I gave it 10 and while I did enjoy it the few parts that were good, as a whole the series just tried far too hard and lost good storytelling in a sea of pretension and self-indulgence.

It was like the show was written, in equal parts, by a brilliant, gifted storyteller and an egotistical 15-year-old who has never written anything, but has read a third of 'Stephen King On Writing' and asked OOT how to get his staggering genius published.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM

I like the final line is this article:

"If David Milch wrote a series in which he were parodying himself, how could you tell?"
Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John is coming to warn the earth about some imminent catastrophe involving terrorism and the environment. He is from a higher plane of existence, in some combination of spiritual, extraterrestrial and figurative. Their seemingly benevolent plan is to orchestrate the characters into a organization that will act as a bullhorn for a more conscious mode of living and possibly prevent or overcome the disaster. Many details are unclear, I suppose, but that's the essential gist amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but I don't think we have anywhere near enough evidence to be sure. Regardless, that leaves us with no explanation as to the how and why of the Yosts and friends being chosen or any specific events that took place during the season.

I sent Actual God a PM inviting him here, so hopefully he can give us some guidance of what was planned for season 2 - if he even knows.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 PM

"There goes a drug casualty." Sounded more like a Milch line than a Bill Jacks line.

This show made no sense to me at all. I can't recommend it to anyone...

...but I enjoyed every single episode.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Definitely read the Inside the Episode on the HBO website for some semblance of an idea of what Milch was going after...

[ QUOTE ]
"Here's the thing. If you've [censored] up unremittingly for decades you wake up and you say to yourself, 'How the [censored] am I still alive? Don't they come and revoke the license at a certain point?' That's what the universe gives us every morning. No matter how far we have veered from reverence for the miraculous fact that we exist in a universe that we don't understand, every day we get a chance to start over...

"John is the chance that the universe gives you every day. And commerce, in the form of Linc, has been persuaded to enlist itself in the service of a miracle. Now, Linc's going to think he's bullshitting, because no one is ever sure of their sincerity. The only way that you demonstrate your sincerity is in action. Whatever Linc thinks he's doing, however uncertain he is, he has decided to take action and enlist Jake in protecting John's identity, so that the anxiety that people feel when they see a plane flying into a building, which makes them want to kill a stranger, doesn't happen to John. And the way that commerce is going to try to protect John is by saying, 'All these miracles that have been going on? It was all Stinkweed. It was all [censored]. It was all commerce. It was a big f**king promotion.' ... What we're seeing is the elaborate resourcefulness of commerce once it has devoted itself to attempting to protect the universe."

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall I really enjoyed the show even though I can't articulate why.