Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Slowplayed Flop w/ second nuts.

I'm in late position. Guy in EP is a semi-loose, semi-aggressive (he bets his hands but does not raise). Guy to my immediate right is loose passive..only raises with the best hands (post flop..never preflop).

I am in LP w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 Limpers, I Limp, Lady behind me limps, SB Folds, BB Checks.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check, Guy in EP (described above) Bets, Fold, Guy to my Right Calls, I call, Lady in LP Folds, BB Folds.

Turn: Blank
EP Bets, Guy to my right calls, I raise, EP calls, Righty Folds

River: Blank
EP checks, I bet, EP calls.

My question here is about checking the flop for a more +EV play on the turn. Here is what I was thinking:
On the flop, when it was my turn, the lady behind me was already going to fold (she had her cards in her hand motioning for the pot). The BB was also giving tells as to a fold. I figured that protecting my hand (against another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falling) was worthless here because a raise would only get anyone who'd called to call another bet back.

However, calling would also get the guy in EP to bet again as he'd done on almost every hand I'd seen him play. I knew that if I called he'd bet the turn, and that when he did, I'd pop him for another BB.. calling on the flop may have missed another SB when I had an edge, but raising on the turn was much more profitable. What you guys think?

Nick
Old 08-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Slowplayed Flop w/ second nuts.

I don't slowplay this. Enemies could hold 66, 88, 79, or Ah.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM

raise the flop. they all are gonna call one more bet if you do, and they may be drawing near dead.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM

I'd raise with your reads. People behind you will fold anyway, and the other people will call (or fold to a turn raise anyway). Lots of cards that will kill the action (the other hearts) if you let them peek the turn, and lots of combinations they will pay you off with
Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM

Slowplaying is probably ok here but only because you have a read that EP is going to bet again.

One of the main problems with slowplaying in general is that you definately have an opportunity to put in a raise on the current street but you can't be sure that you will be able to latter in the hand. Even with this hand you have to worry that if a heart, 7, or 9 falls on the turn that all your action dries up.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I figured that protecting my hand (against another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falling) was worthless here because a raise would only get anyone who'd called to call another bet back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the flop. Another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hitting kills your action more than it beats you.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 PM

I raise PF. This is debatable (unlike QJs which is standard), but I like to buy position and suited big cards are strong multiway.

As played raise flop. A ton of cards will kill your turn action, get it now.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 AM

grunch

Argh! Must...get...money...in...p...ot.

Seriously, don't give A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] a free shot -- or a set.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM

If you had a smaller flush (like 65s), I think that it is very reasonable to wait until the turn to raise on a non-heart because you won't get the big heart draws to fold.

Here, however, you have the second nut flush and your goal should be to take the line which allows you to extract the most value from someone with a worse flush (or perhaps a flopped straight).