Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Hobbs. Says I Played Wrong

Foxwoods 20 (9 handed)

Of course, I FPSed him all night =/.

Villain is a horrible LAG. He's open-limped/reraised preflop with QJo. He's been snapped off 3 times when his opponent checked behind on the turn and tried to bluff HU. However, he has usually never gone multiple bets in a multiway pot without a baller hand. We have lots of history where I bluff-raised him with J high on the river(successfully) and leading to this gem where he limp/reraise(preflop) bet/3bet river me on a 9852A board with AKo.

Preflop:
3 limps, SB calls, Hero raises A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], All call.

Flop(5 players): Q84[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, Hero raises, 2 coldcalls, SB 3-bets, Hero calls, All call.

Turn(4 players): 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets, Hero raises...

Hobbs. says that this hand was played correctly in general, and would've been perfect if we had been in Vegas or Comm. but that FW was definitely a far more loose game. Take that and into mind and consider that we discussed a number of ways this hand could've played out.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Hobbs. Says I Played Wrong

I don't raise the flop here I wait for the safe turn. Your equity goes up and you get to charge the draws 2.5BBs rather than 2 BB between the two streets
Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise the flop here I wait for the safe turn. Your equity goes up and you get to charge the draws 2.5BBs rather than 2 BB between the two streets

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm snuggling with Scary_Tiger right now and he says this line is nitty.

/this post is meant to be funny.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 PM

nice hand, interesting spot

on this board, with 5 players in, 4 on the turn, I'm gonna give sb credit for a big hand

I really think, despite reads/history, there's a big chance we're behind to sb and it would suck to see sb go three on us, bc we have to call down against him

then again, the cold callers behind us most likely have a hand we beat right now and it would suck to not charge them for their draws, allthough one of them of course might also be sandbagging a flopped flush

ugh, I really think this is a tough spot and I def don't love our hand, therefore I would take the conservative route and just call and reevaluate whatever comes next

**EDIT** I'd also like to wait for a safe turn card to pop sb
Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Just call the flop, raise the (nearly) blank turn if SB bets.
If he 3-bets turn call and C/C the riv.
No reason to go to WA/WB call down on the turn, based on what you've seen so far, plus he is a "horrible LAG" so you really don't want to give him any credit for a hand going into the turn betting.

Just my $.02 worth...
bc
Old 08-13-2007, 01:00 AM

At Foxwoods the small blind usually flopped a flush in this spot from my experience. Also don't listen too much to what Hobbs says, b/c he is a nit. lol
Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 AM

Who is the Sb?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Hobbs. is right. First of all, in a 5-way pot I don't think I'm popping AQo PF, mostly because in a bloated pot your hand doesn't stand up as well. To wit, you've built it to a size where spades and straight draws and middle pairs are priced in to call your flop raise, making the flop raise a bad play.

If I had checked my option, I might raise the flop. Having juiced it to 10SBs PF, I call the flop bet and raise safe turns. Basically all you did is make all of SB's plays +EV with a hand like KsQx or As8x, because he's making money off every cold-call that comes in. I'm not sure your equity is as large as you think.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Your biggest mistake in this hand was not looking left.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 AM

Totally depends on the villains who youve neglected to mention. The ones behind you.

Only raise the flop if they are moderatly loose to fairly tight (most opponents). if they are super loose , low spades and pairs are calling your raise and youd rather wait to a safe turn to pop it where your equity is the shiet.
If they are like most players though a flop raise is correct.

The turn is really tough because youve said he can give tons of action with a bluff so you can't really raise and fold to his 3-bet. Also, if the players behind you are pretty tight, it's not too unlikely one of them is sandbagging with a flush or have made a straight.

If they're calling two on the flop, the turn just created so many more gutshot draws (and completed JT with a spade) that most players aren't going anywhere.. And your equity is not very good at all considering all the straight/flush/two pair draws out against you ... as well as the very real possibility of you drawing dead.

Against some opponents I could find a fold here... Most I call and a very select few I raise.