Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Two AK hands: Too aggressive?

Live $400 tournament at underground room. 45 players, 37 left.

1. Blinds 100-200, 25 ante, effective stacks about 11K. Fold to decent player on the button, who raises to 800. SB folds, I look down at AKo.

My default play here this deep is to just call and see a flop. But I've decided to play faster than normal today to try and build a big stack.

I reraise to 2600. Thoughts on bet size?

He calls after about 20 seconds. Flop JT4, two spades, I don't have one. I bet 3500, leaving about 5K behind.

Button is competent and AK definitely crushes his button-raising range. He knows I am an aggressive player and he has position, so I wasn't surprised when he called preflop.

I feel like I have to bet the flop, but now I have more than half my chips in the pot after the flop with A-high on a flop he could have easily hit. I wonder about my bet size on the flop, because now I'll be getting more than 3-1 to call my last 5K with two overcards and a gutshot. (Overcards not necessarily outs, obv)

2. Same blinds. Effective stacks 11K. I open UTG with AKo to 700. Pick up caller in middle position and big blind, who remarked about raising her blind again. (With QQ, but didn't have to show)

Flop 864, two clubs. Check, I bet 1500, fold, BB raises to 3000. Ugh.

First, should I have just checked and folded (to a BB bet on the turn) this deep?

BB is a late-30s woman who is tight but not scared. She will put someone on a hand and act accordingly, even if she does not have top pair or better. She respects my play, also knowing I will usually continuation bet, regardless of my hand.

Obv, my standard play is just to give it up. But I am playing more aggressive. I start to think about her hand. Could she be testing me with something like 99, 77, 55, A8s, seeing if I have an overpair?

She has about 6500 left, and I don't think she will call a shove with one pair. I have her covered and go all-in.

Is this just too risky? The blinds are about to go to 150-300 (25), but I will still have about 40 big blinds at that level if I fold. Blinds 40 minutes long.

I also think it would be nice to have 18K instead of 11K.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Two AK hands: Too aggressive?

Hand 1 maybe raise to 3k, but 2600 is ok too. if you bet 3500 on the flop, you have to call the rest if he pushes. since you are calling a push, i think betting pot or just open-pushing may get him to fold some more hands seeing as you are putting your chips in regardless.

hand 2, a check/minraise of an UTG raise signals big big strength to me. you win like 5% of the time when called, and i think you get called way too often here.