Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Let Them Eat Cake

[ QUOTE ]
They lobby government for this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Lots of people lobby for their own interests. Doesn't mean government should give them what they want.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT WHAT WILL WE DO WHEN THERE IS NO MORE CAKE?!?!?!?!

<font color="white">Just realized I was in Politics. Ah well, I'm leaving it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 PM

If people lobby government for programs that benefit themselves at the expense of everyone else, then they are bad people.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Lots of people lobby for their own interests. Doesn't mean government should give them what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your words on Walmart:

[ QUOTE ]
Wal-Mart is evil. They're possibly the worst culprit of convincing the government to use force in their favor. Some people defend them by saying that they're just playing the game by the rules that are there, but I don't buy that. . . .If the government makes it legal to murder people does that make it ok to go out and murder people? No, of course not. Furthermore, they actively manipulate government into making these policies. Getting the government to make the policies is a step well beyond simply abusing policies in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

What gives?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me you are entirely Jeffersonian in your outlook. Empathizing with the South, espousing the cause of the farmer, crusading to break down myths of the Civil War. While Jefferson's philosophies are very close to libertarian ones, I think this misguided choosing of those "noble causes" is a flaw in your (and his) position. The United States is very far changed from Jefferson's vision of noble farmers in an agrarian age. You should be equally disdainful of protectionist sentiment from causes you hold sentimentally close as you are of powerful "corporations", whether they make cars or computers. If not, you come dangerously close from picking, yourself, the "winners and losers" in trade, something it seems that many ACists and libertarians alike agree is a false aim.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was talking to my dad the other day. He is a truck driver for Thomas's English Muffins. The big to do at the company is the predicted sharp increases in wheat (and thus bread) prices that are soon to come. Apparently, the government has decided to buy up a whole bunch of corn for thier ethanol projects. As a result, most wheat farmers are switching to corn to get in on this. So many, that they feel wheat prices are going to double. All for a really bad ethanol program.

So in the comming year when you can't afford bread...eat cake :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it sound to ask whether or not these programs are a primary source of inflationary pressures, the reason they seem to be spiking lately?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Farmers really are destroying America.

EDIT: Corn-producing Minnesota recently passed a thoroughly bone-headed law requiring all gasoline sold in the state to contain at least 20% ethanol by 2013. This move is especially surprising considering that the vast majority of cars currently on the road were not designed with E20 fuel in mind and run the risk of failing catastrophically. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Converting a car from gas to ethanol requires the replacement of a couple of hoses and gaskets. That's it. Corn based ethanol is still one of the greatest scams/boondoggles ever though.