Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: 27s: QQ UTG - low blinds

Harrington also suggests to mix up these raises, i.e., you can still follow the pattern he suggests, but make sure you mix that up randomly so it's more a PDF than a strict always-raise-this-much rule- he suggests using your watch to randomize =)
Old 08-12-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington also suggests to mix up these raises, i.e., you can still follow the pattern he suggests, but make sure you mix that up randomly so it's more a PDF than a strict always-raise-this-much rule- he suggests using your watch to randomize =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hijack the post but if I know he's raising 4xbb with QQ 70% of the time then that's a huge part of his range when raising 4xbb. I think it's better to raise the same amount almost always no matter what cards you have. What do I know? I'm a donk playing 6.50s and harrington's a mtt genius.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this works better in MTTs when you're generally a lot deeper at every stage than in an STT and may be with the same players for hours. In an STT you're playing mega-tight early, so the raise size that gets no more than 1 or 2 callers is generally going to be preferable.

You also have very limited time to get the reads that will make you money later on - mixing up your raise sizes messes with their heads and their calling ranges, while diverting your attention onto a trivial randomisation issue instead of what your opponents are doing.

When I click to make the raise I'm busy making plans for what I'll do if I get reraised by any of the various villains left to act and what I'm planning for the flop if I get x callers, not be looking at the second hand on my watch.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this works better in MTTs when you're generally a lot deeper at every stage than in an STT and may be with the same players for hours. In an STT you're playing mega-tight early, so the raise size that gets no more than 1 or 2 callers is generally going to be preferable.

You also have very limited time to get the reads that will make you money later on - mixing up your raise sizes messes with their heads and their calling ranges, while diverting your attention onto a trivial randomisation issue instead of what your opponents are doing.

When I click to make the raise I'm busy making plans for what I'll do if I get reraised by any of the various villains left to act and what I'm planning for the flop if I get x callers, not be looking at the second hand on my watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's probably overkill for STTs and particularly turbos, where the simplest strategy is to use a simple standard raise for all cards.