Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Default FTOPS #3 PL flush draw and double gutter on flop

I posted this in the MTTc thread but me and my friend are disagreeing on the right line to take.

I don't really play PL that often but I'm trying to learn it better and play it more. Should I have played the flop slower? In NL I'd usually check or raise enough to pot commit me to any card on the turn, here in PL my cap raise kinda put my stack in no mans land.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $10/$20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2900
UTG+1: $2970
MP1: $2890
Hero: $3020
MP3: $3310
CO: $2890
Button: $3020
SB: $2960
BB: $3040

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $60</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $100</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($320, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $160</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $960</font>, SB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2400, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero... (Is a shove manditory here)
Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: FTOPS #3 PL flush draw and double gutter on flop

As played I think a shove, or close to it, is pretty much mandatory. I dont play PL but calling the bet on the flop closing the action would be my std play here
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 AM

I don't know if a shove is mandatory, your semibluff didn't work on the flop, but you can still take advantage of the free card he just gave you. Your stack is small enough that you obviously can't bet/fold. If you have any timing tells on him use them obviously. If he seems like the type who won't fold top pair, don't push the turn as the 2 was definitely a huge brick. If he seems like the type to gamble on a draw without odds, I wouldn't push either. I think you need him to fold around 30% of the time to make it a profitable turn push.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 AM

No, a shove isn't mandatory (you can take the free card), but it's not bad either. Honestly, it's hard to misplay a hand when you have a probable 15 outs to win.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM

SB just called a max re-raise. I would imagine that he is not going to fold to a push here. If you push and he calls, you're less than 50% to win so what advantage is there to pushing? If you check and then brick, you get away from the hand without losing any more of your stack.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 PM

He has a huge hand which he's not folding: min reraise OOP pre, call of your huge raise. Take the free card. I almost never call with a draw as big as yours on the flop, but here I think I would have because his preflop line was so goofy and so indicative of a gigantic hand.