Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Suited Connectors

Not really a fan of these hands like 67 78 89 910 for a few reasons.

Say your delt 910 off or suited deoesn't matter and some decides to raise if they have Jx Qx Kx Ax odds are against you and you obv. dont have the best hand so you should fold

Say your delt 67 suited and someone trys to bluff you..... even if they have Q2 your still behind and you dont have the best hand so you should fold.

Basically if your never going to be ahead going to the flop and a coin flip at best

Reasons why I don't play these overrated hands.

I try to get my money in with the best hand every time so I always have the edge and the odds to win

LET THE DEBATE begin
Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Suited Connectors

Your idea of "best" is completely wrong. A hand's value is mostly determined by how much money it can make, not whether or not it has a better chance of winning a showdown (unless of course the you're in a preflop all in situation, of course.)

You're completely wrong ,unless of course are going for a "level" (oh how I hate that word...)
Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM

The value of suited connectors come from multiway pots when you have big implied odds if you can catch a nice flop.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM

If somone raises with AK, why do you call them with eight high or nine high?

It just seems like there would be less bad beats in hold'em if people pitched their hands when they were beat
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If somone raises with AK, why do you call them with eight high or nine high?

It just seems like there would be less bad beats in hold'em if people pitched their hands when they were beat

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Gamb00l
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM

You have to play a variety of hands if the other players are good. If you only play top pairs and AK, everyone knows what you have when you play. You may win most of the time, bu tyou'll lose a lot more when you lose than you'll win when you win.

If you only add hands like K-small, you'll often be dominated. At least suited connectors are rarely dominated. Plus, you'll hit some flops that the people who play high cards won't.

Don't think of making money on every hand you play, think about selecting a set of hands to play so no one knows what you have, and there's lots of opportunities for other players to make mistakes.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say your delt 910 off or suited deoesn't matter and some decides to raise if they have Jx Qx Kx Ax odds are against you and you obv. dont have the best hand so you should fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds indeed are against you if you look at the hand in a hot-cold scenerio. It would be rather foolish, IMO, to commit a sizeable stack with one of these holdings preflop on a call (AI raise maybe give adequate fold equity, but not a call). However, in most cases, you're seeing the flop, analyzing the situation thoroughly (I hope), and acting accordingly. Most of the time the flop won't hit you hard enough with these hands to continue - you fold if faced with a reasonable bet, investing no more chip, or bet or raise to steal if the opportunity presents itself. You won't win everytime you decide to play these hands but the times you do will (or should) more than make up the diffence.

[ QUOTE ]
Say your delt 67 suited and someone trys to bluff you..... even if they have Q2 your still behind and you dont have the best hand so you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more like a value bet to me! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Basically if your never going to be ahead going to the flop and a coin flip at best

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because they don't do well in allin situations preflop. I don't believe any reasonable person is going to say that they committing their stacks with these hands, preflop.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 PM

If I play K2o, I will win 60% of the time against 67s.

I dont see how I can play 67s knowing Im going to lose 60% of the time agaisnt 82o+ or like 80% of the time against 77+.

Oh my frigging head
Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play K2o, I will win 60% of the time against 67s.

I dont see how I can play 67s knowing Im going to lose 60% of the time agaisnt 82o+ or like 80% of the time against 77+.

Oh my frigging head

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the betting does not end after the flop.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really a fan of these hands like 67 78 89 910 for a few reasons.

Reasons why I don't play these overrated hands.

I try to get my money in with the best hand every time so I always have the edge and the odds to win

LET THE DEBATE begin

[/ QUOTE ]

this post exposes you do not understand the extremely important NLH concept of implied odds. The fact that in your examples you do not talk about stack sizes makes them completely pointless. the deeper the stacks..... the more value suited connectors gain, period.