Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Default A334 .05/.10c FTP, comments on all streets appreciated

I couldn't get a decent converter so just used pokerhand, I am new to PLO8 and am currently reading Mike Cappelletti's book and am trying to learn the game.

On flop was I correct to call? Is a fold/raise a better play?
On the turn my thinking behind the reraise was "I have set+2nd nut low, if the board pairs on river im guarenteed whole pot, if there comes a low card I could potentially scoop" (I figured I was more likely to be up against straight+flush draws rather than higher sets). Is this thought process incorrect?

All comments greatly appreciated.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1357844
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: A334 .05/.10c FTP, comments on all streets appreciated

I'll just about never disparage anyone for their pre-flop play in PLO8. So if you want to raise this hand pre-flop, that's fine. I personally would not. It's important to realize how your pre-flop decision made a huge difference on the best way to pay your hand post flop.

1) After you raised pre-flop... you need to raise the flop. With your pre-flop raise, now we have a decent sized pot to fight over. You want to protect your hand against the myriad of draws out there. You should put out a pot sized raise or even consider going all-in. You may run into a bigger set and be crushed, but it is worth the risk to fight over a raised pot (unless you have a specific read telling you otherwise). And of course the turn will be automatic after you've raised the flop.

2) After you hypothetically limped pre-flop. Now the pot is much smaller. If sabac_red now leads out for the pot you should smooth call. It's too dangerous of a flop to raise. Raising is reckless because you have too much money left to bet, there are too many draws/scare cards, and the downside of running into a bigger set is more expensive. Smooth calling lets you take advantage of your positional advantage which is huge in this hand. If one of many scare cards hit, you will gain a lot of information from your opponent’s bets/checks. In general, bottom suck is a dangerous hand but bottom set + 2nd nut low draw is a very strong hand. So go wild on that turn card.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks a lot for you comments TomG
Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Don't like the PF raise....not that strong of a hand.

Flat calling the flop is a huge mistake imo. Your raise, while I didn't agree with it, should eliminiate the majority of TTxx and JJxx hands. You need to protect against the straight draw.

As you played it up until the turn, I have no clue why you now raise with the straight having come. At this point I'd just flat call and hope for the best on the river(a two).

Sorry to be so critical...just don't like how you played it though.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM

Pretty much what they said, raise is meh. But definitely gotta push that flop after a potsized bet and call, by calling your letting straights/flushes/bigger boats get there in what is already a substantial pot (54 big bets minus rake).
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for comments Assani and LetsGetItOn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]