Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Keeping my mouth shut

1. get sunglasses
2. get ipod
3. ???
4. profit
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am being serious. Like I said I am very green, trying to learn. Been studying and playing alot over 2 years just not yet used to the B&G. I do not want to be "that guy" at all. I do need the sunglasses and ipod at times to keep myself from chatting to much, most of my live experience is from my friends home game where we constantly talk strategy and good naturely belittle each other. I know it's "only 1/2" but I'm "only" a food server making ends meet in the off-season so I take it seriously.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:10 PM

The closest thing I do to being nitty at 1/2 is that I take a moderate amount of time whenever I'm involved in the few amounts of hands I am. I do this to practice a robotic playing style, and generally make better plays by thinking them through.

Everyone seems to just get really pissed at me though when someone pushes a psb and I take a freaking minute to think about it. I don't get it, honestly. I fold every hand for one hour instantaneously, I remind people to post, and I correct the dealer's mistakes... I think I more than make up for all the time I "waste."

I dunno, I just wanted to bitch.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me personally I don't mind any of those things except for table coaching and strategy talk, and admittedly the latter of those two can occasionally be entertaining if strategy man is unskilled enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much in the same way that I might raise a good hand big 2/3 of the time and raise it small the remaining 1/3, I sometimes talk strategy but try to be serious only 2/3 of the time and throw in some awful advice. Sometimes I just nod knowingly when my neighbor says he should have pushed all-in after flopping his set to knock all the draws out.

Like the OP, I find the temptation to talk poker really strong. And I would argue that I'm probably able to do more with info about how my opponents think than vice-versa. The truth of the matter is, no matter how much I insist that folding AQ to a reraise or pricing draws to make them think they can stay in is profitable, no one's going to believe me anyway. So as long as I contaminate my advice every once in a while, it's fine.

I also love to say, "We all have our different styles, and what works for you may not work for him," when someone's berating a fish. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I should probably just keep out.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM

I have the same temptations to talk strategy at the table. I usually end up doing it on one or two hands in a session, but the rest of the time I try really hard to keep my mouth shut. I think it's an ego thing. We all want to impress the other people at the table with our knowledge.

Along with strategy, I have to try really hard not to correct people about the rules, or anticipate the time charge when the dealers change, etc. There's a fine line between making the game move along and making it obvious that you are a regular.

Most of the time what I found helps is just to agree with whatever the other person says. Calling a pot-sized all in with two pair on a four-flush board? "I had to call, I can't lay down two pair!" "Yeah man, nothing you could do."
Old 08-11-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the same temptations to talk strategy at the table. I usually end up doing it on one or two hands in a session, but the rest of the time I try really hard to keep my mouth shut. I think it's an ego thing. We all want to impress the other people at the table with our knowledge.

Along with strategy, I have to try really hard not to correct people about the rules, or anticipate the time charge when the dealers change, etc. There's a fine line between making the game move along and making it obvious that you are a regular.

Most of the time what I found helps is just to agree with whatever the other person says. Calling a pot-sized all in with two pair on a four-flush board? "I had to call, I can't lay down two pair!" "Yeah man, nothing you could do."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is best. Just aknowledge they played their hand correctly, regardless of the context. No need to educate the fish, just let them play their game and you play yours.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 AM

Please don't wear sunglasses, for your own good. Not sure of your overall experience, but they are unnecessary for 1-2, any low limit game whatsoever, and for many people any game at all. They immediately make you a target for anyone who is aware... just my two cents. As for talking, anything that goes past 1 minute of conversation is too much for people you don't know. Keep it simple and cordial, and never get personal about anything away from the table or about any hands... 'good hand' or nothing at all is the way to go
Old 08-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Get out of that dumb ipod habit now. People will sit there and tell you all about how they play, but you'll miss it when you're ipod-ing.

You don't have to give away advanced strategy tips to your opponents. Smile, talk about whatever, sympathize and agree with their river lamentations, etc etc bla bla bla. Make sure to toss in the occasional "looking just wastes time" or other such wisdom. It's not that hard, really.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't wear sunglasses, for your own good. Not sure of your overall experience, but they are unnecessary for 1-2, any low limit game whatsoever, and for many people any game at all. They immediately make you a target for anyone who is aware.. just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd disagree, especially at the lower limits. It doesn't make any difference to your average fish, but I've noticed in my experience that quite often you're automatically discredited by the regulars, thus making it +EV. A perfect example happened to me recently in Tunica.

$1/$2NL, UTG+1 raises 5x the BB. I've seen him do this a couple times before in the past few hours, once with AA, and again with QQ, so I put him on a big PP, he's got about a 200-220 BB stack, I'm at about 150BB stack myself, so I call OTB with 67s. Flop comes 598 with 2 of my suit, he raises about the size of the pot, I smooth call. Turn brings a 6, he raises, I push, he insta-calls, tables KK with a huge smile on his face, and says "That'll teach you not to be so aggressive with all your TV poker" just as I'm tabling my hand, then he says "Wow, what a lucky flop!!" I just chuckled.

~Mike
Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get out of that dumb ipod habit now. People will sit there and tell you all about how they play, but you'll miss it when you're ipod-ing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use my ipod when I play and I really feel it helps me. I put the volume low enough so that I can hear the music AND still hear the dealer and the players talk. You'd be surprised what people will say about you when they think you can't hear. I've heard people talk about repopping my next button raise over a bunch of limpers, tell their neighbor their hands after I made a big laydown, etc. And I can ignore people that want to ask me what my hand was by pretending I can't hear them.