Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

Agreed. It also has a really wide range within it, and can have really bizarre stances and takedowns, and some weird strikes, so they could do lots of shows on it. I'd love to see some good material on pentjak silat.

The oafy guy is finding himself out of challenges because of his size, so they're gonna have to stick him in grappling or probably have no chance to use him at all. He is a good speaker, though.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 AM

Anybody catch the Savate episode tonight? I just finished it and have to say it was pretty solid. The fight at the end (they had a 6'2" heavyweight champ for the big guy to fight) was really good, both guys were going all out. Each fight has gotten better since the weak ass muy thai episode final fight.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody catch the Savate episode tonight? I just finished it and have to say it was pretty solid. The fight at the end (they had a 6'2" heavyweight champ for the big guy to fight) was really good, both guys were going all out. Each fight has gotten better since the weak ass muy thai episode final fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this ep as well. I'd never even heard of savate before.

Watching the big guy fall on his ass repeatedly was great.

The fight at the end delivered.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 PM

I saw it too. Pretty fun. Reinforced the impression proven out in worldwide boxing that the Europeans are amateurs, but mixing the kicks in adds another dimension. I wouldn't have minded seeing more on the canes. They looked like they could give painful welts and help establish distance, but I'm not sure they wouldn't break on the first solid hit.

I enjoyed the smaller guy, when they went to the park, dumping a savate guy on his butt and starting the ground and pound on him.

The big guy is strong, but his coordination and balance level sometimes makes him look virtually untrained. I see this a lot with wrestlers when they're on their feet, but the better ones at least look like they've got their balance figured out. Big dude's slowness and lack of coordination will make his fights have a certain desperation in them that will be interesting to watch.

It was pretty funny that he got to a draw with the French national champion. Doesn't speak well for the champ at all, who often looked like he was getting outclassed.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:20 PM

This seems to be a knockoff of Deadly Arts on the travel channel. Only there it was a 40 something lady. I enjoyed that show, and will give this a shot.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 PM

There have been a few of these shows over the years, but not too many. They're always worth checking out, just in case they don't suck.

You can catch reruns on Sundays usually. They'll show the last one, the current one(Friday show). I think starting at 5 or 6 p.m. PST.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM

How do you guys feel about the hosts? I didn't like either of them at first, but the little guy is growing on me because he actually knows how to fight. The big guy though sucks nuts, "Oh I used to wrestle but these little guys are so fast!"
Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM

They both seem real likeable dudes. The little guy did something last night which he does a lot -- seeming to explain techniques as if he understands them in detail when the video doesn't show that he does at all. He really does seem coordinated though, and I like seeing someone who looks relatively comfortable in both grappling and striking.

The big guy's oafishness doesn't make me like him less; maybe it makes me like him a little bit more. But it makes me roll my eyes when he's trying to learn most anything.

I really like the computer graphics segments in this show.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Blarg,

yeah, i get a little annoyed when the instructor of whatever says "you do this to get the guy off balance" and the little guy kinda looks at the camera like he's translating some mystic statement "so, you do this to get your opponent off balance"....

overall i do enjoy it though....and to those saying you wish they'd just go all out....if you watched the karate episode and looked at their hands and bloody clothes afterwards...they may not be going "120-i-want-to-kill-you-%", but they're certainly not holding it all back either.....
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Yeah if I recall, the only "holding it back" thing that really stands out -- taking into account that it's really not a show about killing each other -- is the thai boxing episode, where if I recall correctly we didn't see any leg kicks. And leg kicks are a huge feature of thai boxing.