Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Start from the scratch? Where to start and what to do?

Hello everybody im a new guy =),

I've already read a bit in this great forum but this is my posting debut. English is not my native language but I hope its not too bad .

I have been playing poker for a little more than a year now and really got hooked. (beside the hand rankings i knew nothing about the game when I started)

I also built a nice BR playing mainly limit and whoring alot of bonuses. Then a few month ago I switched to NL and it worked quite good. (was playing 6max NL100 at some point for a while until first downswing came)

That got me scared a bit so I decided to move down in limits. But since then my game just seems to have gotten worse and worse.

Since I never really climbed up the ladder in NL as I did in limit I wanted to start out fresh from the scratch, but I wanted to ask you guys what limit you think one should start at to learn serious poker?

I tried playing NL10 and NL25 but one those levels the gameplay just doesnt seem to be good to learn the game seriously and also the money doesnt seem to matter enough for me at this level as I always seem to want things to go faster.

How did you guys start out learning (serious) NL? BR is not a question but where do you think you get the best learning effect for the least money?

I guess NL50 would be the best pick?

Also, what else do you think one should do to improve his game quickly? Ive to admit I am quite lazy but I really wanna put some effort in this. (well this is the first thing I really wanna put effort in in my life lol)

I hope my post isnt too confusing (my writing style is a bit strange i know hehe).. and you guys got some good tips for me. Also sorry for opening a thread for just this, but I also wanted to say hello to everyone with this =)

Looking forward to your replies.

Barracuda_Kid
Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Start from the scratch? Where to start and what to do?

i know you said "br is not a question," but i really think you should choose stakes based on your roll. how much roll do you have?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 PM

>10k atm but I am cashing out a bit because im seriously overrolled, so lets say 4k.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 PM

personally, i'd play 5,000 hands or so of nl 50 and if that goes alright, i'd start playing nl 100. but i'm a bankroll nit and most ssnlers would probably advise you to start directly at 100 (which is reasonable).

as far as improving your game, reading and posting in ssnl is your best bet in my opinion. in fact, i don't think you'll find a comparable resource anywhere else.

by the way, your english is good.

edit: you didn't mention any software. do you have pokertracker and poker ace hud?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:01 PM

i agree w/ nl50
Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 PM

yea ima br nit too (as you might already noticed hehe)

Your advice seems good gonna try that. Just hope I dont get suckered out so often (last time when i played nl 50 it was horrible heh) but I guess i need to learn to deal with this too to become a better player.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 PM

ya got pt and pahud, using the hud quite a bit already to make my decisions but have to admit i dont review my sessions often enough. (and i dont track enough i guess... just tracking my own sessions so far)