Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Default How much is 2.5 grams of powder????

I recently purchased some piracetam(nootropic).... It comes in a white, powdery form..... It's recommended dosage is 2.5 grams- 8 grams 3-4 times daily.... It came with no measuring devise.... I'm no drug dealer, so I obviously don't have a handheld measurer.... How much is a teaspoon or tablespoon of powder measure up to??? Also, anyone with experience using this stuff, how much should I be taking??? I also take klonopin, lexapro, and seroquil for anxiety, is that going to be an issue???? Thanks.....
Old 08-10-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: How much is 2.5 grams of powder????

If I recall correctly, most pharmaceuticals are primarily indigestible filler, often a type of clay called Kaolin.

The density of Kaolin is about 0.77 that of water.

So the volume you need is about 2.5/0.77 = 3.3 mL

Or, about 2/3 of a teaspoon.

Rough educated guess!!!

EDIT: I just googled this drug. Apparently a crystalline powder is it's natural state, so ignore the Kaolin calculations. This stuff could be much more dense or much less.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 PM

I all probability, it's density is probably fairly similar to that of water. If you're absolutely desperate, you could assume that 5 g ~ 5 mL = 1 teaspoon.

So 2.5g ~ 1/2 teaspoon.

If you don't get any help here, you should probably ask a pharmacist.

In fact, no matter what anyone says here, ask a <u>pharmacist</u>.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 PM

I looked on the product itself, and sure enough it had a phone number to reach.... The answer I got, 1 teaspoon equals 4.75 grams......

However, for anyone in the know, will there be any interaction problems taking piracetam with my psychotropic meds..(klonopin, seroquel, lexapro)..... I just can't find anything on the internet to answer my question, I've looked everywhere, but no definitive answer.....
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Go to a headshop, they will have little vials that hold exactly 1, or 2 grams of powder, they are about 2$.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM

2.5 grams of powder weighs the same as a penny, assuming the penny was made after 1982. Before 1982 pennies weighed about 3.1g. Using a little imagination you can construct a balance scale at home and weigh the powder vs a penny. Assuming you have the energy and curiosity.

doormat
Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 PM

Well, I found out that a teaspoon of this piracetam weighs 4.5 grams, so problem solved there.....

However, I can't find anything on the internet about drug interactions with klonopin, seroquel, and lexapro, which I'm currently on..... If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info..... Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I can't find anything on the internet about drug interactions with klonopin, seroquel, and lexapro, which I'm currently on..... If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info..... Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but ...

Have you asked a pharmacist about this? They're specifically trained to know things like drug interactions. Even more so than most doctors.

Plus they're advice is free and they're easy to find. Unless you live on a farm or something, it would be easy to get 5 opinions if you were really concerned.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Thank you....