Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: How can I learn being LAG?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, don't worry about taking bad beats. They are part of the game. Every time you take a bad beat, you did something right and they did something wrong. By definition, if you lose chips on anything EXCEPT a bad beat, you messed up. Try to keep that in mind. It'll do worlds for your sanity.

--TFGoose

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part is not necessarily true. If you are short and pusbotting correctly you will occassionaly shove into a better hand, that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Also, there are times where it is correct to get it in with a draw and you won't always hit. To quote shaun, If you are only getting it in when you are ahead, you aren't getting it in often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. That's a quote from a friend of mine that for some reason I latched onto the other day. Perhaps it should be modified that "few of your beats should be anything but bad ones".

I stand corrected.

--TFGoose
Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your advice..you're right just a couple of bad beats. Was on tilt tonight but I'm hopefully over it now...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Also, the only time you should beat yourself up over a hand is if you apply a range and the hand that shows up is BETTER than that range.

Normally the ranges we apply include nut hands and the probability of nut hands, but many times we go "Well AA wouldn't do that pre-flop" And if AA shows up there, you messed up. Otherwise act accordingly to your ranges applied and HOPE they don't crush their range.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]
Being a LAG with a small stack is really easy because you just go all in preflop every hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM

It's being a LAG with a medium stack that sucks. LAG short stack should be default and if you aren't doing it you're passing up edges and blinding yourself down.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:42 PM

I probably just having a really really really bad downswing...It's so incredible I just need a break..tonight again AK < KQ (Q on the river) 88<77, Set<Flush, lost with KK 3 out of 4 times etc....but in one week I'll go on holiday so this will clear my mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM

To the OP-

Read HH threads, study hand range equity problems, observe proven LAG players as they navigate through a field..

...and of course, fire up some tournaments and start experimenting! Play your normal TAG game while constantly looking for places to make "moves". When you think you might see one, go for it. If your "move" worked, take a few minutes afterwards to see why (and maybe post it). If it appeared to blow up in your face, again examine it later to determine if/why it was or wasn't an ideal spot. Don't be afraid to spew a little, it's part of the learning process. And don't be too results oriented.

Oh, and play well within your bankroll. You'll never learn good LAG poker if you're scared. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]