Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Default $5NL flop bottom set then feel like a total wimp

Will someone P-L-E-A-S-E slap me around a bit and tell me to stop being such a weak pussy wimp that every time I flop a set, I immediately convince myself that my opponent has a higher set.

This Monsters Under The Bed stuff is really getting to me.

What should I have done differently in this situation? Is it as simple as raising every street?

I'm sure some of you will say my pre-flop raise should be bigger but at this level, certainly at Party Poker it seems, even a raise of 3 big blinds leaves you just picking up the blinds. Picking up the blinds is nice as far as it goes, but it leaves me feeling I'm never getting as much out of my pocket pairs as I should be.

Slap me as much as you want, but please also teach me how to play better in future. Much appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($4.92)
BB ($8.03)
UTG ($7.95)
UTG+1 ($3.03)
Hero ($5.75)
MP2 ($5.22)
MP3 ($4.39)
CO ($1.94)
Button ($5.21)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, MP2 calls $0.08, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.08, SB calls $0.06, BB calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.52</font>, Hero calls $0.52, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($1.44) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.6</font>, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($2.64) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.48</font>, Hero calls $2.48.

Final Pot: $7.60
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: $5NL flop bottom set then feel like a total wimp

I have no problem picking up the blinds with a raise from MP1 with 55...

I pot the flop, if hes got a better hand and you get it in so be it.

As played you have to raise the turn for value if he has some sort of straight or flush, because my guess is that a 5NL player probably wont lay down here.

IMO the river should be seen with both of you all in.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Raise more pre-flop. Min-raise will never just pick up the blinds at this level. Also, you wont a nice big pot for wheen you flop your set so raise the standard is the best way too do it.

Too me it looks like he only has a straight on the flop and thats why he over bet the pot. I actually dont mind the flat call on the turn since it paired and you dont need too charge draws.

Not shoving the river is [censored] awful though. Not matter what he has he's going to call when you shove it in on the river. You'll see flushes and straights here so often that not shoving the river is massive -EV.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Getting the blinds with this pair is perfectly fine...plus you will be called enough at this limit to get value out of your pairs. Definitely need to raise more preflop as the min-raise accomplishes nothing.

It's odd that villain overbets flop, but that is a extremely drawy board and I am raising this flop 100% of the time, especially with 3 people to act after you. Let's say a spade that did not pair the board comes on the turn. What's your action now? You have given everyone in this hand odds to draw to their FD or possible OESD. Raise the flop without a question.

After the turn there is no reason you aren't confident in this hand. On the river, villain has now bet on all three streets. It's clear that he probably likes his hand, and a call here loses tremendous value. That river must be shoved.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM

At that level any set is an automatic all in
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Raise flop, push turn. You are an effin sissy you little queer boy!! (there, is that what you needed?)
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 AM

Thanks a lots guys.

That all makes a lot of sense and is much appreciated.

And yes, moldman, it's EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 PM

You have to raise the flop with any set (bottom set is no excuse not to raise here, even on a draw heavy board)

turn you can raise or shove depending how much you have left behind and feel happy about getting your money in here
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 AM

Agree with all the above comments. He is acting like he like his hand, so you shouldget as much values as you can. If he has a bigger full house, so be it. thats part of the game.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to raise the flop with any set (bottom set is no excuse not to raise here, even on a draw heavy board)

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as we are talking about nano games, I would even go a bit further and say "raise, especially(!) on a draw heavy board". This is because people will call you with their draws even if it's very unprofitable. So you make their mistake a big one and get value for a nice hand.

Sometimes I even just push all-in at the penny tables on such a flop no matter how big the overbet is and get called by the flush and/or str8 draws.