Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: How can I learn being LAG?

I've been recommending this to other player's over AIM, so I may as well state it here:

Go play 6-Max NL for a while. Read up on 6-Max NL strategy, especially PF. Get used to playing 6-Max. Then go back to full ring. Doing this will help you 1) develop your ability to read hands 2) get in you involved in lots of pots w/OK hands 3) show you how to be aggressive in the right spots 4) the power of position.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been recommending this to other player's over AIM, so I may as well state it here:

Go play 6-Max NL for a while. Read up on 6-Max NL strategy, especially PF. Get used to playing 6-Max. Then go back to full ring. Doing this will help you 1) develop your ability to read hands 2) get in you involved in lots of pots w/OK hands 3) show you how to be aggressive in the right spots 4) the power of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points.

Also in the PXF thread at the top of this page, watch some of nath or shaundeeb's HH's. Try to understand why they are doing what they are doing in each hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also in the PXF thread at the top of this page, watch some of nath or shaundeeb's HH's. Try to understand why they are doing what they are doing in each hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but understanding what Nath and Shaundeeb are doing is often difficult to do.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

Lol ^^^^^ Especially that one Shaundeeb posted recently where his mate takes over half way through and goes absolutely crazy
Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol ^^^^^ Especially that one Shaundeeb posted recently where his mate takes over half way through and goes absolutely crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he later admitted that someone else played on his account for about 100 hands mid-way through. I had no idea what happened until he explained it. It was however a good demonstration of how just by raising PF you can cause all sorts of chaos.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 PM

It's just that I have been sucked out upon soooooooooo many times lately I'm just sick of it. I never had such a downswing before, mainly in STTs though. I really lose literally with every monster. Set of Aces, easily crushed by some idiot holding 46 offsuit etc. That's why I start doubting my game. In SNGs for example I hardly play anything (except calling with AJ in LP, Callin with AQ and raising in LP, calling with 22+-99+, raising with TT+ and AKs everywhere) until I have about 20BB left then I start raising many hands if I'm first in the pot. I basically play MTTs the same way but I have been so unsuccessful lately that I start doubting my game. And so I sit there tight like a nit, short out of the money in an MTT, push first in in LP with JJ, get called by 74, and he makes trips. Soooo standard...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

Ugh man don't change your game just because you are running bad....Getting sucked out on is a good thing...Seriously look on it as, I played that well and they played it badly...in the end you get their money...You should feel worse when you suck out on someone because you played a hand crap...

I think your attitude needs changing more than your game needs it...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

minraise J2o UTG and get to showdown, the rest will just fall into place
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
minraise J2o UTG and get to showdown, the rest will just fall into place

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrendous advise... it has to be sooted.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Want to learn LAG? Fix your TAG Game first - if you can't beat MTTs with TAG play, you're going to have a problem taking down with LAG play. Here's how I learned:

Joined 45 man 1.20 MTT. From blind levels 4 and higher, I standard open raise ATC 2.5BB any position except UTG and UTG+1, adjusting for shorter tables. CBet 100% of the time headss up.

You'll get an incredibly deep understanding of reads, calling ranges, reraising ranges, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me guess, you ended up actually making money that way and are now the only 1.20 pro in the world?

I love the idea tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I made money; I'm good :P.

But then I started setting standards to my play "Only these positions, only these cards, only against these types of villains" and then I made it a gear I switch to if I need to. I probably have about 3-4 different pre-flop aggression rates, and I doubt I use more than two a MTT. When I get shorthanded, my game changes almost entirely because my reads improve.

As for 1.20 pro? :P I'm 15th in the world 3+ tables 2 dollars and under SnGs....<3 sharkscope.