Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Sick slow call, slow roll story (very lightly embellished)

Great story, Rick, extraordinarily well-written too.

But I disagree with virtually all posters here.

First, let me say I know Rick personally, have spent a fair amount of time with him. He's a gentleman's gentleman. A man of outstanding morality and thoughtfulness, second to none on both counts. Everyone whos knows him thinks exactly the same thing.

But I think Rick did not show great restraint here. Restaint--and the best thing to do here--would be to have done nothing.

Is the guy a jerk? Yes. Did he do an incredibly jerky thing? Absolutely. Was Rick's gentlemanly reprimand understandable? Of course.

But why did the guy do it? Precisely to get a rise out of Rick. That's what slowrollers do. They want to rub it in, to rub your face in it, to make you comment. Don't give them the satisfaction. If nobody ever said anything or reacted they'd stop because they wouldn't get a boner from it.

Easy to say and hard to do? You bet. That's why it's so much more satisfying to do it, precisely because it is so hard. You see more and more of this kind of thing as no-limit has become the game of choice because the game lends itself to Hollywooding. The best response, the mature response, the restrained response, was to do exactly nothing in response To have said anything--no matter how "restrained"--was a lack of restraint.

And, of course, as I trust you know, Rick, I say that with the utmost respect for you.

Andy
Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Andy, that means a lot to me coming from as fine a writer as you.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think Rick did not show great restraint here. Restaint--and the best thing to do here--would be to have done nothing.

Is the guy a jerk? Yes. Did he do an incredibly jerky thing? Absolutely. Was Rick's gentlemanly reprimand understandable? Of course.

But why did the guy do it? Precisely to get a rise out of Rick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I didn't emphasize this enough in the OP. Not only was he a goofy, friendly, train wreck sort of guy but he was likable in an odd sort of way that is hard to explain. I think you're familiar with Tommy Angelo's Nimrod character from his song "Slowroller". He wasn't a Nimrod type (a serial [censored] for those who don't have Tommy's CD); he was simply clueless that what he did was wrong and if repeated could endanger his life (or at least a limb or two) against many opponents. Believe me I was trying to help him avoid a future calamity!

Anyway, I think he's from out of town so I probably won't get a chance to play him again. But if he comes back and takes a seat in my game I hope to get the money in as a ten to one favorite again. And if he wants to slowcall and slowroll me that's OK too (except for the waste of time which impacts everybody and motivates management to raise drops and rakes on no limit games).

Lately the only thing that really bothers me is traffic on the 5 (worse at my end than yours) and wine that costs more than $10 a bottle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
“First, I want to make sure you did know you had the stone cold nuts on the turn.”

GCF guy says rather tepidly, “Yeah, I knew”.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to say...

[/ QUOTE ]

...That sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. How did this get no
Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
“First, I want to make sure you did know you had the stone cold nuts on the turn.”

GCF guy says rather tepidly, “Yeah, I knew”.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to say...

[/ QUOTE ]

...That sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. How did this get no

[/ QUOTE ]

appreciation?

On the subject, Rick is clearly on par with Ghandi. When somebody shows a total lack of consideration for me at the table, he is my enemy. Yet Rick went out of his way to HELP this jerk.

I should learn something from this. But all I can think of is how I would explain the accident that left my elbow embedded inside his nose. Which might look a bit suspicious in that it happened just seconds after I tripped and spilled an incredibly hot drink all over him.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

wow.u showed alot of class and restraint .i would probably rip his pants off and proceed to shove the chips he won in his rectum
Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I disagree with virtually all posters here.

First, let me say I know Rick personally, have spent a fair amount of time with him. He's a gentleman's gentleman. A man of outstanding morality and thoughtfulness, second to none on both counts. Everyone whos knows him thinks exactly the same thing.

But why did the guy do it? Precisely to get a rise out of Rick. That's what slowrollers do. They want to rub it in, to rub your face in it, to make you comment. Don't give them the satisfaction. If nobody ever said anything or reacted they'd stop because they wouldn't get a boner from it.

Easy to say and hard to do? You bet. That's why it's so much more satisfying to do it, precisely because it is so hard. You see more and more of this kind of thing as no-limit has become the game of choice because the game lends itself to Hollywooding. The best response, the mature response, the restrained response, was to do exactly nothing in response To have said anything--no matter how "restrained"--was a lack of restraint.

And, of course, as I trust you know, Rick, I say that with the utmost respect for you.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the slow-rolling goofball would get much "satisfaction" out of being berated and called an [censored] in front of the entire table, or possibly having a beer bottle crashed over his head or being strangled with his pocket protector.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM

You'd be surprised -- whereas it's probably a safe bet that he doesn't relish violence against his person (unless he's a total masochist), he probably does relish the scene that such a reaction would produce.

The bigger point is 100% valid: When you have someone like a slowroller, who's just begging for attention, it's always good if you can find the superhuman self-restraint not to give it to him.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised -- whereas it's probably a safe bet that he doesn't relish violence against his person (unless he's a total masochist), he probably does relish the scene that such a reaction would produce.

The bigger point is 100% valid: When you have someone like a slowroller, who's just begging for attention, it's always good if you can find the superhuman self-restraint not to give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would've obliged his begging for attention by yelling at him. I'm not super human.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote the other response late last night on fumes. When I woke up I realized I wished I had added that if the player was similar to the one who plays the Commerce 40/80 and has a name that rhymes with "virus" (or the psycho who has the twin names that rhyme with "effen" and "wrenchy") I would have used your approach.

BTW, after listening to even more "virus" stories from my friend I've concluded that she is absolutely beyond redemption. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM

well rick you did it again. dont show your hand until its your turn or he has verbally said what he has. solves alot of issues. it is pathetic what he did though and you will get even when he plays one day and asks for a ruling and you walk up.

covering you face sure will hide a tell if you have one, but i have played in alot of places where if you did that you got outdrawn more often on the river.