Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Another B&M Etiquette Question

A month or so ago I was playing in a $2/5 game. A younger player who had only been playing poker for about 4 or 5 months was in the game and sitting nex to an experienced regular who I always see everytime I go. The regular kept whispering advice to the newbie when he was in a pot and his reads were usually pretty good. When the experienced player went to the bathroom a player complained to the dealer about it and the dealer issued a warning to the player when he sat back down. Shortly there after a new dealer came in and was not told about the older guy giving advice to the younger guy in the middle of a hand.
Anyways, I get involved in a big pot against the newbie when I flop 99 against his AK on a flop of K94. I had bet out for about 100, he reraised to 450 and I pushed for just over 1,000. (He was 1,200 deep or so). The experienced player was loudly telling the young guy to fold because I had AA or KK. He sat there for a long time and finally ending up calling me.
How out of line was this experienced player? Had he folded, was their any course of action I could have taken? Should a dealer be punished for letting this happen?

Had that player not ended up calling I would have flipped out, but luckily it worked out for the best [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Another B&M Etiquette Question

Regardless of whether the young player folded or not, you should ask for the floor to be called over. By alerting the floor to the active coaching going on, it will help to prevent the old guy from just shutting up until the next down. Additionally, if this coaching is loud enough for dealer to hear then the dealer should tell the person 1 person to a hand.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How out of line was this experienced player?

[/ QUOTE ]

12 on a scale 1-10.

[ QUOTE ]
Had he folded, was their any course of action I could have taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Several come to mind. Most would result in jail time for you. None would get you any money, from the noob, the experienced player, or the house. But I would let the experienced player, the dealer, and the Floor know how disappointed I was that common poker courtesy was ignored during the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Should a dealer be punished for letting this happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call the floor and ask why his dealer sat there like a bump on a log while a very basic poker rule was being trashed.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

call the floor
Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Yapper deserves a hearty KITN

This is also why automated poker machines are going to suck. This behavior will become the norm as soon as dealer's aren't policing table talk.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM

This is about as out of line as it gets. I've never called the floor before, but I'd definitely do it in this case--to report the player, not the dealer.

Was this his next infraction after being told to stop by the previous dealer, or had he done it after being warned?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The experienced player was loudly telling the young guy to fold because I had AA or KK. He sat there for a long time and finally ending up calling me.

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That is some great coaching when the player doesn't even listen to him!

You might consider just letting the guy offer advice if newbie isn't going to take any of it!

But, yeah, the guy talking needs to STFU in the middle of a hand (in between hands is fine, obv) and deserves a KITN.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 PM

One player to a hand. I would seriously ask the floor to remove the player from the table, particularly if the regular plays well.

Fail that, I would seriously consider leaving the game and then asking to talk to the management.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM

totally out of line. Stop the game and call the floor. One player per hand rule its a pretty clear cut violation here.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM

I don't think you should stop the game in the middle of the hand... If you make a big deal of this during the hand about the 'coaching' going it's because you don't want the newbie to listen to him... if you said something in the middle of the hand I would instafold.
Let's just say for arguments sake, you held K,Q here and weren't giving the newbie credit here for a bigger hand... Would you still want to call the floor over right in the middle of the hand? I know I wouldn't.
Wait til the hand is over and say something directly and politely to the yapper.