Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: defending blinds in NL w/ small PP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i disagree. lags are more likely to bluff off their stacks and overplay one pair hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm with Josh on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well.. according to diebitter GOOD lags don't play big pots... they may stack off once, but generally they're trying to clean up the scraps of the tags, no? Maybe that's what doc was talking aboot (I'm not CDN, but I like the way they say 'about')?

[/ QUOTE ]

very few lags are any good. and even so, they give good implied odds because they fire at weakness
Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These types of hands beat my head in when thinking NL as they are far different than in limit.

Example..

Assume 100BBs effective stacks
Hero dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB

Folded to CO who 4x's it, BTN folds, SB folds..

if CO is uber LAG, hero?
CO is normal?
CO is TAG?
CO is nitty?

Flop is 26Tr...
if we 3bet PF, obv we have to cbet a flop like this y/n?

How do we play a flop if above we call?

[/ QUOTE ]

grunching...

you call with all of them for set value, and you fold if you don't hit unless you have a straight draw.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i disagree. lags are more likely to bluff off their stacks and overplay one pair hands

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well.. according to diebitter GOOD lags don't play big pots... they may stack off once, but generally they're trying to clean up the scraps of the tags, no? Maybe that's what doc was talking aboot (I'm not CDN, but I like the way they say 'about')?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lags play smallball while waiting for good spots. They will happily stack off if they think it's a good spot.

Do not see a LAG and assume he's good, mkay? Likewise don't assume he's bad. Watch and learn. If he does stack off, how he does it is important too. A lag with TPTK stacking off to a guy that called down a flush draw and hit it while chasing bad drawing odds is entirely different from a LAG stone-cold bluffing hard at a TAG in a coordinated flop.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 AM

In limit you want to push small edges, in no-limit you want to win stacks. The size of your blind compared to your stack really makes defending your blind not worth it. In your scenario I would call for set value and if hit try to figure out how to build pot and if missed probably fold and hope my opponent continues to try to steal and give me the opportunity to take his stack.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What diebitter says is true. But 95% of all LAGs are terrible. They don't understand the reason for being a LAG.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey bravos,

go to this thread, it's long I know, but read through it, mainly Paul Thompson's answer sheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rev,

Thanks a ton! That thread really brings up some concepts that that I never really think much about being primarily a limit player. I really need to start thinking about hand ranges, and player types in relation to thinking about how I can stack them, not just how often I am ahead.

Unfortunately I don't think I have ever said to myself, hmmm this guys opening range is fairly small, so if I hit, I have a strong chance of taking his stack. This type of thinking is very diff from limit.

It's this kind of thinking that reinforces the theory that when playing NL, you are playing to take stacks.

I'm really starting to see how poorly I play NL, which is demoralizing but good at the same time since I know I have SO MUCH to work on.

It also shows how crappy the average NL10-NL100 players are [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not sure how much NL I'll really be playing, but finding news ways to think about poker are always good fun and usually very profitable if applied correctly.

Wook, I'm glad you got this forum going.. as it has been vry good/informative so far and FWIW, this forum has been much easier for me to follow than SSNL. This is no knock on the posters there, but this forum has been in lock-step with my thoughts and IMO done a good job so far for anyone looking to go LIMIT->NL.