Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Default (1/2) 2 Big hands in a row against same opponent

Here are two hands against the same opponent from a short-handed session on Party. Had been playing against him for all of the session and he seemed pretty decent without being great or getting out of line. Appeared to be able to change gears, or maybe he just caught some cards for a brief period! Anyway, I'd switched to LAG at this stage and was (trying to be) the one running the table.

Is this first hand anything other than the nuts? How often do you think it's a naked A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $133.65
CO: $816.46
Hero: $287.25
SB: $198
BB: $219.53

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($41, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $28</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $123</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $95 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: $97

Is this turn raise going to show me TT? Or is it going to be something like AsQsJ9 often enough for me to be good? Anyone go for a check/raise on this flop or just bet out? The preflop raiser was quite tight and hadn't done a whole lot of anything yet.

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $249.25
CO: $228.85
Button: $208.53
SB: $90.80
BB: $873.46

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $9</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($36, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25.51</font>, 2 folds, BB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($87.02, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $84</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $337.02</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $130.74</font>.
Uncalled bets: $122.28 returned to BB.

Main pot: $516.5[/i])

Results:
Final pot: $516.5
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: (1/2) 2 Big hands in a row against same opponent

H1. I think you see a naked Ac here a decent amount of the time. I just think that the small bet mixed with your small reraise, makes it pretty easy to rep the NF with any Ac tbh.

H2. I'm not really worred about TTT. I wouldn't be suprised to see KK+FD alot here. Other than that, I think its a big combo draw with the NFD like you said. Don't like a c/r on the flop. Mutli way pots with flush and straight draws arn't ones to get cute on.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 AM

Hand 1 looks super-suspicious. He doesn't make his pot-sized reraise until everyone else folds, leaving you heads-up. Also, you're shallow enough that you'd think he'd play it slower if he really had the nuts. I'd definitely look this up. If nothing else, you can always hit the nine of clubs.

Hand 2: I don't much like the weak flop bet in a multi-way pot on a coordinated board. I'd just hammer this for the whole pot. The turn's fine though.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 AM

I'm confused. Why did you do a half pot raise on first hand? I do not think nut flush plays the way villian does. 2nd hand, pot the flop. I hope villian doesnt have kk.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 AM

There's nothing wrong with betting ~2/3 pot on monotone boards. I've started doing it regularly and I've been really happy with the results. It does encourage people to come over the top of you more often though so you need to call down a little lighter.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 AM

I couldn't fold the first hand. About 2nd hand I'm a bit confused. Do people really limp/call this kind of crap from UTG?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Hmmmm... although I don't play 6max, I'll still hazard some comments (just bear in mind I'm a FR player).

Hand 1 I definitely fold.

Hand 2 I rather like your call. That's a pretty weird TT line for villain OOP on that board imo, and stack-depth is such that you're getting pretty decent odds. I can see some rationale for TT playing like that, particularly given your self-description for the moment. But it sure seems like he doesn't care much about possibly giving free cards.

I'll normally fold middle set to a raise unless I have a pretty good redraw, but here I don't think I can--although I definitely sometimes pay for morbid curiosity... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

His line almost looks more like KK with spades to me--or maybe even picking up 2 pair with spades if he's pretty gamy.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:43 AM

Yeah, I didn't notice that. I personally don't like either one of those, although I do think it's tenable on a flush board.

Anyhow, in 4-way pots, I'm not very fond of sub-pot bets except on paired boards. I also think it makes it significantly more difficult to define where you're at.