Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Dealing with weird table image

I played live over the weekend, and had a very odd occurence.

I certaintly don't consider myself the best player at the table (only $1/$2) and it always seems there is at least one or two people I consider a better player than I am.

But on both days really weird actions took place. First day the person I consider the best player at the table was to my immediate right. After a couple of hours of play, he actually turned to me and said "You know you are not getting any of these red chips" When I laughed and said why, He replied, "Because I'm folding any hands you are in, it's not worth the risk"

That's just a bizzare comment, as I was down during the session, and other than being tight saw nothing unusual about my play.

The next day, I get almost no action on any hand I'm in. There were people at the table as tight as I was, and they got plenty of action. I was lucky to get a $50 pot going.

Example, I have 77 in the BB. Flop comes AT7 rainbow. I check, everyone checks, turn blanks, I bet small. Get one caller. River is an A. I check, get a half size pot raise out of player, I reraise to 3 times his raise, and he takes 2 minutes to simply call. He then turns over A9 for top set.

Who takes 2 minutes to call with top set for a $45 bet? Same player would be super aggressive with top pair weak kicker. I think he would have actually folded except half an hour before under similar circumstances he laid down a hand to my river check raise.

I felt like a leper, most hands people just simply folded the moment I bet unless they hand big monsters. While this allowed me to win more smaller pots, anything over $15 was unusual, while many of the pots exceeded $100 when I wasn't in the pot.

I really had no idea how to take advantage of the situation, as I was so taken aback. I tried to play a few more hands, but this only let me still win small pots. What other actions should I have taken?

I'm also afraid maybe I have some huge live tell that I'm not aware of, since I mostly play online.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Dealing with weird table image

Try loosening up a bit. Show some bluffs. If you see someone playing nut/2nd nut hands what would you do? Sounds like your ultra tight to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Bluff more. Steal more pots. You won't be winning huge pots, but lots of small ones.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM

You shouldn't be surprised that you aren't getting action. When people percieve you as being a tight player, the natural adjustment will be to avoid playings pots against you.

The advice above is correct, show some bluffs and enter more pots. Your image is a license to steal, so take advantage.

-Jerry
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM

A9 makes top set HOW?!

TRIPS [censored], TRIPS.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A9 makes top set HOW?!

TRIPS [censored], TRIPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up nit, for i blast you