Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Strat: Min Limpers 100/200+ Turbo SNG\'s

I have found myself in this spot a couple of times lately and I am really unsure of how to play this. If you could offer your advice/hand ranges for calling/raising/shoving that would be awesome.

Hero(BB): 3500
SB: 1200
BTN: 2200
CO: 3000
UTG: 3600

UTG: Raises t400
all fold
Hero: ????

I am finding myself where I have a hand like A10, KJ etc and I really have no idea how to play these.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Strat: Min Limpers 100/200+ Turbo SNG\'s

Call and play a flop with those types of hands. Shoving here is really dangerous as deep as you 2 are.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call and play a flop with those types of hands. Shoving here is really dangerous as deep as you 2 are.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is playing OOP against the 1 guy that can bust/hurt me. I have been calling a few times and leading 2/3 of flops regardles of whether I hit or not latley. FYI lead is usually 300.

Thoughts
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM

True, you have to tread very carefully with the other big stack. And folding to this with KJo or whatever probably isn't that big of a deal. But I think you should be able to profit by just calling and generally trying to play small pots.

I'm not sure I like the leading flops that miss thing. At least not for 300. I mean, I doubt that they'll often fold A high or whatever to a 300 bet. I think this play would have more merit with a bet of at least half pot.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM

I like a fold here.
You are against another bigs stack he is min raising UTG.
I reading him for 2 possibilties.
1. he has a monster and is inviting a reraise and doesnt want the blinds in for free.
2. Has a hand much like yours and wants to be able to get out cheap if reraised.
With no read on opponent this is an easy fold and wait for more fold equity or a bigger edge.
In this spot you will either win 700 or lose your stack most of the time.

Hate a call here as well.
if you make a pair domination is very possible. not to mention when you both miss he will probably bet out as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Should mention I am playing 6.50's and 16's and these people are doing this frequently. I had a player do it on my blind 3 orbits in a row from UTG. I just find it really diffcicult to put them on a range.

ANd I feel I giving up a lot of value if I fold KJ,KQ A10 tyoe hands.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 PM

If you really feel this guy is min raising with Suited Connectors or some garbage put him to the test with AT. Or if you think he is a donk and stealing utg resteal it brother.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really feel this guy is min raising with Suited Connectors or some garbage put him to the test with AT. Or if you think he is a donk and stealing utg resteal it brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel risking 17BB's is worth the risk for 2.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 PM

I agree Ryot, that suggestion is only outside of my previous advice. I most certaily like a fold here.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 AM

It all depends on this range. Both raising and calling ranges. You can work these things out using ICM.

So, you just have to get some reads and figure out what type of range this guy will be raising UTG.

I wouldn't read too much into a min raise. All it usually means is that's the default raise, when you know you want to raise so you just mindlessly click the raise button.

Calling is certainly and option. I'd call when I think I have very little fold equity (ie, he has a wide calling range) but he has a wide raising range. Basically, a maniac.

I'd fold if I think he has a tight range.

I'd shove if I think he has a wide raising range, tight calling range and my hand justifies shoving in that scenario.