Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: HU advice

Don't call OOP at these blinds against this player without something like AA. Raise or fold. I take it his standard raising range is 3 bbs at this level, maybe more? You should probably just shove his raises when you have a good hand OOP, maybe raise to 15 or so if you think his reaction to a shove is "this guy is weak" and he starts calling more (I'd prefer someone calling less here, espec. if he's raising 3bb+).

You want most of the action postflop to be played on your button. Raise to 100 or 125 preflop, probably 100 since he's a station and fire 125 or 150 on the flop most of the time. With decent drawing hands you can check behind, but you're going to want to build pots with your strong hands, so don't fire 2 without a hand most of the time (unless you have a strong read he's floating and is weak and will fold). You can fire 2 with good draws that have not hit yet as well.

Just play a smart-controlled form of poker. Don't call OOP, value bet your good hands and don't be afraid of giving him a few blinds if the board doesn't go your way.

Also, if you feel comfortable doing this, you should have a good edge against this type of player. I would make it a best of series and try to get as many games played as possible. I love 20bb games, I wish they added them on stars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Another thing to add, if you're comfortable in this match I would probably tighten up (if there is minimal effects on his calling range OOP) and just raise to 125-150 preflop with a smaller % of hands. He's not going to be playing numbers and saying something like "man I'm so card dead" on your button is probably enough to rid the possible slight through in his mind that you are only raising good hands on the button.

Also, limp higher cards like K4 and fold stuff like 86. Smaller cards have no value in these blinds compared to big-littles like Q6 or K5.