Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 AM

Default $2.50 Stars tournament Late Game

Only 24 people left out of a 2000+ field. I haven't been with villian too long but he has been a bit aggro. I've been sort of aggro but with no show downs to speak of.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t296888)
SB (t60690)
Hero (t107621)
UTG (t48400)
UTG+1 (t160495)
MP1 (t197041)
MP2 (t151168)
CO (t208527)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t4000.

Flop: (t14800) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t13000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t32000</font>, Hero ?

If you are just calling here what is your plan for the turn and river? If you are folding or shoving please state why.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: $2.50 Stars tournament Late Game

I dont think you should have led if youd didnt know what you would do if he raised you.

I honestly shove over the top preflop if he has been aggro like you say, since you called I prefer a check raise all in here.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Ok so as played a C/R is probably best. Is anybody ever looking at this min raise pf and attempting something to find out what it means or are we just getting our money in with the hopes of getting to the final table?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

If he's been really agro you could certainly resteal PF, although I'd probably make it 25k or so rather than shoving...a shove seems excessive with our stack size. I also like a flop c/r against an agro villain. I don't think just calling is an option, you will have less than a PSB left and the turn and the river are very unlikely to improve your hand. I mean I guess you could just call and get it in on a safe looking turn, but I think you probably need to shove or fold right here. I think I'd probably shove and just hope for the best. His flop raise could be a better hand, but it could also be a worse K, a T, a draw, or air. He could think your flop donk is just an attempt to steal the pot and he's raising with nothing.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM

I bet a bit less on the flop or CR is good too.
If you call you're pot committed really so fold or all in.
Would he really raise with KT?
Obviously he could have AA or KK but you can add in a flush draw, 2nd pair, straight draw.
I go all in here with the aggressive read but its close imo.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 PM

as played i would definitely push
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's been really agro you could certainly resteal PF, although I'd probably make it 25k or so rather than shoving...a shove seems excessive with our stack size. I also like a flop c/r against an agro villain. I don't think just calling is an option, you will have less than a PSB left and the turn and the river are very unlikely to improve your hand. I mean I guess you could just call and get it in on a safe looking turn, but I think you probably need to shove or fold right here. I think I'd probably shove and just hope for the best. His flop raise could be a better hand, but it could also be a worse K, a T, a draw, or air. He could think your flop donk is just an attempt to steal the pot and he's raising with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^^^ What he said
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Not to point this out or anything, but I just finished watching the HH and the villain in this hand has only been at the table for 3 hands. The first hand he sat out because he came in on the SB, and the other 2 hands he folded. So we have no reads on this player. All we know is that he is an unknown.

When I talked to BlueEcho about this hand, I told him I didn't really like it. We disagreed and eventually he posted it here. Now that we know he is an unknown, he's raising from MP, and then we call with KQ. We get a good flop, so we lead out to see where we are at. Villain then raises us. Is our KQ really any good here? We want to see hands like JJ, QQ, KJ, but does villain raise JJ and QQ with a King on the board after our lead? I am not so sure.

Does villain raise preflop with KJ? Well, we don't have any reads so who knows, but does villain raise with KJ on the flop? It's possible.

It's very likely he could have AK or AA too as those hands play the way above. I think we got our information out of villain and I'd be very inclined to fold here. A push seems way too much here.

Others have suggested a check-raise, and I think that would work, but what amount do we raise to get the information we want without committing a large portion of our stack? I know it depends on what villain does, but make up something.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Hmmm I don't know where I got that read from then.....maybe something I missed that I was associating with that seat.

That being said I think you are seeing monsters waaaaaaaaay to much. Yeah he min. bet, yeah he reraised my flop bet, but a flush draw can be doing the same thing here. If you are folding everytime someone shows strength you are missing the point of playing against ranges.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

I would check call flop, and check call any turn bet unless a 9 or an Ace hits...

If you lead out I think it's pretty weak to fold...
I would actually advocate a preflop fold if you are bet/folding a flop as good as that for KQ

Sometimes thats not a bad idea oop against a raise vs an unknown