Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
"I am also still waiting for your answer about what would qualify as evidence that this event didn't occur if absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."

Inherent contradictions within the primary source, or the primary source contradicting established evidence in other matters, thus making the source dubious to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the daughter of Pharaoh came down to wash herself at the river; and her maidens walked along by the river's side; and when she saw the ark among the flags, she sent her maid to fetch it.
And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews' children.
Then said his sister to Pharaoh's daughter, Shall I go and call to thee a nurse of the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for thee?
And Pharaoh's daughter said to her, Go. And the maid went and called the child's mother.
And Pharaoh's daughter said unto her, Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. And the women took the child, and nursed it.

Exodus 2:5-9
King James Version

Let’s completely ignore Moses’s sister (a stranger and lowly slave) running up to Pharoah’s daughter through all her guards, and maids.
Let’s completely ignore the anonymity of the primary villain in the single most important event to a people.

Is paying your slaves contradictory enough?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to the best of my knowledge ancient greek ethics absolutely differed from private property 10 commandments and can be best summed up by Thucydides observation of the greeks "it is just and fair that the strong should dominate the weak"

[/ QUOTE ]

whats private propertyy have to do with 10 commandments??? 10 commandments is not too capitalist now is it.

and about thucyd: dont confuse state strategy with philosophy. might is right is correct for the state of sparta or athens but it is not what greek philosophy is saying. what have you read...

[ QUOTE ]
greek culture didn't predate the bible

[/ QUOTE ] sorry but it did an i hope you dont wanna be heraclitus about it, and i think you meant to say philosophy instead of culture because you can have culture in a society without having philo but not the other way around.

[ QUOTE ]
please cite a an alternate derivation of thou shalt not steal.

[/ QUOTE ] ok the egyptians and the babylonians were not too keen on thieving. what are you saying. stealing has always been condemned. cue ac rant for the eternal universal value of private property.....
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Humans have an appendix and tailbone, for example. Human males have nipples.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these have a function.

[/ QUOTE ]what function are my nipples serving??

i only realize theyre there when a girl licks them. if thats why GOD put em there i thank HIM very much

altho OK the sex act is not improved THAT much through my nipples getting tongued.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

altho OK the sex act is not improved THAT much through my nipples getting tongued.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that's part of it. I've also seen that the skin needs seams and they serve that purpose, not sure. And it's possible it's just esthetics - symmetry.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM

And I presume a tailbone is to prove evolution? That is our descending from a common ancestor with other animals! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And I presume a tailbone is to prove evolution? That is our descending from a common ancestor with other animals!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiki says:

[ QUOTE ]

Function

The coccyx provides an attachment for nine muscles, such as the gluteus maximus,and as something of a shock absorber when the person sits down, although forceful impact can cause damage and subsequent bodily pains. The muscle that is necessary for defecation attaches to the coccyx.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most scholars don't think that there were Jewish slaves in Ancient Egypt. Let alone that they were freed by Moses. Or that he used ten plagues. I'm talking historians, archaeologists, anthropologists, whatever. At least I think that is true. Check it out yourself by googling "truth of exodus".

[/ QUOTE ]

You know David...
This is an outright deceitful post.

You know perfectly well...
That the Googling the phrase "truth of Exodus"...
Results is an ** extremely biased sample ** of anti-Judeo-Christian critics...
Which also just happens to support your views.

Googling "Israelites in Eqypt" will produce a more balanced result...
And the first link:

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a027.html

Shows that the first possible archeogical evidence FOR...
Was discovered in 1966.
Before then... hardly anyone was even looking.

So this is obviously a priority ONLY for those...
Seeking to discredit Judeo-Christian teachings.

<Yawn 1,000,000 times>

Just one more transparent attack on Christ.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 AM

"You don't give the benefit of the doubt to a single writer if you have no corroborating evidence. You especially wouldn't do this if the writer was not writing a first hand account. To accept knowledge as a historian without confirming it with other sources is bad scholarship."

Your radical skepticism practically denies the historical existence of the entire foundation of Western Philosophy. We only know of men like Socrates and Parmenides through second hand dramatic accounts, which are not even in the form of biography but other genres of literature. We believe Alexemenes of Teos existed because Aristotle said he did. There is no other source.

"Do you believe Gilgamesh really killed an ogre named Humbaba in ancient Sumeria? Why not? We have a written account of the event."

It is an accepted societal norm that Ogres are mythical creatures and do not exist. Therefore we deem the story to be impossible. But there is nothing impossible about a mass exodus. It has occured numerous times throughout history.

"If I write on a piece of paper that I saw the Loch Ness Monster, that doesn't make it a reliable source."

That's only because investigation has shown the Loch Ness monster to be a hoax. But if you're a respectable member of society and claim to have seen something without other witnesses, such as a crime, the police will give you the benefit of the doubt and investigate the matter.

Again, your problem is that you want to make history into a science instead of admitting that it is an art.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I am also still waiting for your answer about what would qualify as evidence that this event didn't occur if absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."

Inherent contradictions within the primary source, or the primary source contradicting established evidence in other matters, thus making the source dubious to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the daughter of Pharaoh came down to wash herself at the river; and her maidens walked along by the river's side; and when she saw the ark among the flags, she sent her maid to fetch it.
And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews' children.
Then said his sister to Pharaoh's daughter, Shall I go and call to thee a nurse of the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for thee?
And Pharaoh's daughter said to her, Go. And the maid went and called the child's mother.
And Pharaoh's daughter said unto her, Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. And the women took the child, and nursed it.

Exodus 2:5-9
King James Version

Let’s completely ignore Moses’s sister (a stranger and lowly slave) running up to Pharoah’s daughter through all her guards, and maids.
Let’s completely ignore the anonymity of the primary villain in the single most important event to a people.

Is paying your slaves contradictory enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your method is fine, but I'm not sure your expert conclusions about Egyptian social strata will cause mass burnings of the Bible just yet.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats private propertyy have to do with 10 commandments??? 10 commandments is not too capitalist now is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i wrote earlier in this thread US law system comes from bible and private property comes from commandment against stealing.