Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Quixtar/ multi-level marketing

Quixtar caused a HUGE riff in my wife's family a couple of years ago.

Her brother had just graduated college, went to a meeting and was immediately hooked. And he started hard hard hard selling his family. No one was interested, but his Dad signed on to support him. He went to all kinds of seminars all across the country and racked up thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in debt. And he kept drinking the cool-aid...and kept hard selling everyone in his family. He had changed quite a bit - from a fun party guy to a serious always selling Quixtar guy.

So, he's living with his older brother (who's married with a kid) and always selling f'n Quixtar. One day he's selling again, his brother says no, not interested...and then he says "Are you really that bad of a husband that you're going to make your wife work when you have an opportunity like this that can allow you both to retire early". Unbelievable. He was kicked out of the house right then and there.

Also - as someone has stated, they really believe that they are a franchise...that's what he always called it. And when someone asked him at a family function what he was doing - his canned response was, "I'm designing websites for Fortune 500 companies". Those of us that knew what he was doing LOL'd...but he went into his schpeil about how each person had their own website that they could customize and they sold Fortune 500 company's merchandise.

I could go on and on and on about this stuff. Let's just say that it's gone NOWHERE for him in 2 years and he's still dumping tons of cash into it.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM

When I was in college this guy I know came to my fraternity house and tried to recruit people for a company called ACN. It is some type of pyramid scheme and it was lol. There was this black guy in a fake armani suit with him and he was trying to get people pumped up to join. They showed us a video on our big screen of some ACN convention, looked like some sort of tel-evangelist show or something, just very weird. The black dude said he was worth 1 million liquid (he couldn't be more than 20-25 yrs old), I asked him what kind of car he drove he told me Acura integra (this is in 2003) lol what a joke.

So this ACN thing was selling utilities to people in lieu of whatever utility company they use. You get a residual from the contract and then you recruit people to join and you get a residual from whatever contracts they sell so yes very shady. The long of the short of it was you need to sell 100 contracts at which point you get some sort of meaningless $500 bonus when it comes down to how much money you've made ACN. Also you need to meet some kind of recruiting quota to get your residuals. And I forgot the kicker, you need like $750 to join them LOL. What a [censored] scam. The first thing that came to my mind from this idea was Boiler Room but those d-bags actually made tons of cash unlike these frauds.

I was bouncing a basketball the entire time laughing at the dude I knew and was trying to get my fraternity brothers out of there ASAP so we could go practice from our intramural game. Anyway, I knew the local college kid fairly well, we were lab partners in one class for our major and he was a manager of a successful campus bar and were good acquaintances but I wouldn't say friends. I thought he was a little wiser than this but people's street sense sucks really bad sometimes.

Last I heard he is now back in school trying to put a career together.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM

My wife's sister and her husband have 'The business' that they talk about which is in fact Quixtar... they talk more about what effort they are putting ninto "Their Business" than talking about any benefits of it

I also, back in college when I was managing a restaurant, met with a guy who tried to make it sound really appealing and easy

Basically you get friends and family to join and just purchase Quixtar products for yourself and OMG retirement

After the meeting he kept bothering me and leaving me messages about how his offer for me was limited, and he sounded desparate and sad

And I'm glad I stayed away
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically you get friends and family to join and just purchase over-priced Quixtar products for yourself and OMG retirement

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at their website and saw how they over charged for their products.

they talk more about what effort they are putting ninto "Their Business" than talking about any benefits of it

You just described my friend, totally about talking about the potential of the business but never about how to make money from it.

Sad he has become so brainwashed.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM

I forgot to add this as a side note...

My wife worked at a mall clothing store a couple of years ago, and some lady came in and wanted to try on some clothes. She starts small talking with my wife, and it eventually comes up that she and her husband have this great "business opportunity" - and my wife and I should hear about it. So my wife gives out our f'n phone number to this lady, who calls the next night. From the little details she gave (remember, they try not to give you details at first, just hook you in on how "awesome" it is) it sounded a lot like Quixtar, as we knew from her brother's pushiness. So the lady calls...my wife pretty much immediately asks her if it's Quixtar...the lady says yes. K Thx Bye...and she hung up on her.

Oh yeah, the lady didn't buy ANY clothes after being in there for at least a half hour. More balls than I've got to do recruiting that way.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So my wife gives out our f'n phone number to this lady, who calls the next night. From the little details she gave (remember, they try not to give you details at first, just hook you in on how "awesome" it is) it sounded a lot like Quixtar, as we knew from her brother's pushiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend roped me in that way. I asked him to describe this business to me and he just told me he could not really go into it, his upline would have to explain the "biz" to me.

For the first hour the speaker just talked about how wealthy everyone involved with the company was and whoever was a guest should thank the person who invited us, because we were truly blessed.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM

So, in summary, turn and run if:

1) Someone thinks you would be a great candidate for this business opportunity after just meeting you.

2) The main focus of the business is recruiting new members, rather than selling goods or services.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was in college this guy I know came to my fraternity house and tried to recruit people for a company called ACN.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I was tricked into an ACN meeting too, maybe 4-5 years ago. I must be a magnet for these things.

Actually, on its surface it sounded more plausible than Quixtar - everyone needs utilities, so just get them to change over to ACN. Easy, right? But obviously these things come with a pyramid-shaped catch which I didn't stick around to find out what. Also, I was pissed that the meeting was on a Saturday night, effectively ruining it.

Funny thing, the next week I called the guy who talked me into going to the second Quixtar meeting to get his take on ACN, and he said it sounded sketchy, haha.

And let's not forget Excel or whatever the name of that long distance phone company is/was. Had some guy come over to my place once and pitch that to me.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be a magnet for these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have sucker stamped on your forehead or something?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 PM

my uncle does a similar thing selling people some BS called Goji juice...he barely works and makes about 250k a year so i guess he has a lot of people under him