Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Default thoughts on 10nl through 100nl

Mods,
I am sorry if this is the wrong forum, and if it is, i can post it in a different one.

I was thinking about opening up a general discussion on the limits of 10nl through 100nl judging from what i have seen the last three weeks. I found something kind of interesting that might be helpful to somebody. if not, don't read:

After trying to rebuild my bankroll after cashing it all out for a trip to vegas(only about three thousand), i was left with about 100 dollars.

Started playing 10nl a couple of weeks ago(used to be mainly a sit and go and tourney player) and just played basic straight forward play. simple play was enough to get to the next level. There was no need for bluffing, mostly just value betting with a wider majority of hands.

at 25nl 6 max and full ring, i found that people seemed to always respect your re raises and would fold to almost any c-bet into the pot. i found myself raising and c-betting a lot more than i normally do, but for me at the site i mostly play at, it works.

50nl seemed to be the same as 25nl. no need to wait for a monster. raise in position and the occasional three bet against the right players that you would know would fold most of the time to any c-bet.

i took a couple of shots at 100nl for a couple of days and after a couple of coolers(only a couple wouldnt be bad for a normal br, but i was trying to move up quickly). i found that people at 100nl are a lot like the people at 10nl. they stood their ground to just about every 3 bet and c bet i put out there. i found myself waiting for a monster to be paid off by a guy willing to bust with top pair good kicker. my problem was that when i did get a monster, the flush/straight draw or overset happened too much for me to continue taking shots at that level.

i know this is a long post, but i was hoping i could get some feedback from you guys at these levels(i am not a baller yet, but i am hoping to get there soon).

Cliffnotes: above is what worked for me at these limits. What seemed to have worked for you? what didn't? you dont have to go into detail, but i think this thread can be helpful for a lot of people.

thanks for your time, and thank you for reading this.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: thoughts on 10nl through 100nl

Speel - if you threw together a few problem hands you're running into, and posted them in the SSNL forum (with a short explanation as above), you'd probably get what you're looking for with specific strategy for those levels.

In general, I don't imagine the levels below 200nl are drastically different from one another, although I'm sure the player skill does increase at least somewhat as you go. You're still gaining most of your profit from value betting to some degree. There will just be fewer mistakes to exploit, and it becomes harder to extract value from hands (and, you will probably get better at extracting value in marginal situations).
Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 AM

I am in the process of "taking shots" at 100NL after beating 50NL for a decent winrate. The one major difference I found between these levels is that it is much harder to push people off of their hands at 100NL.

At 50NL, I do a lot of 3-betting (w reads on tighties) post-flop and take down a good percentage of those pots without further action. So far at 100NL my 3-bet success rate post flop is not good. I have been called down or RAI with as little as top pair on a 3 straight board. So far to me, it seems that Top pair is gold and an overpair is platinum.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM

i planned on sending something else out to ssnl as well(specific hands vs specific types of players), but i thought that this might fit better in the poker theory section.

Eva,
that is what i have found as well. when i get the roll back for that level i have thought more about checking turn with top pair good kicker on a dry board and let them bet it for me. It just seems that there are as many fish at 100nl as there are at 10nl(people just skip 25 and 50). I think i need to not c-bet as much and let people try to float me a little more when i have a monster
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 AM

My experiences through those levels have been quote different. I find 10nl easier to c-bet and take down pots on the flop. Also all levels between 10nl - 100nl ive noticed that the allin and overbets are almost always value bets and not bluffs. Some other things to point out is as you move up levels the players get alot more tricky. Ive seen players limp on the button with AK to take down a big pot later, whilst players in 10nl and 25nl never seem to make plays like this. Im still struggling to succesfully adjust my game to the smaller limits though and tend to find myself tilting alot of a poor player bad beats me. Good luck....
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM

at the lower levels like 10-20 and 25-50 i've noticed im much more sucessfull with my blocking bets. Like say i raise preflop with a-j suited, and the flop comes out 10 4 3 with two of them my suit. i then continuation bet partially as a block bet to avoid an even bigger bet which i would of probably got if i stopped fireing and just checked. This usually allows me to see the next card at a price I set (and am fine with payin) and try and chase my flush. But in the higher 100 games they catch on to this and i end up re-raised alot and am most of the times forced to fold. Alot more aggressive play on the higher 100 tables, though somtimes i run into a tight table i can take advantage of my continuation bets with.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 AM

From my experiences (I've played all levels quite a bit)-

$10 NL - plans more or less the same as $2 NL. Pure ABC, no bluffing (other than c-bets), and value betting will win the money in all cases.

$25 NL - pretty similiar to $10 NL, expect you'll actually run into your first group of regulars at this limit - just avoid the better ones - $25 NL is still by far and away a fish fest.

$50 NL - Still pretty easy, and still plenty of bad players, but a few more regulars and they are of better quality than the $25 guys are. The game also shifts IMO to more of a weak-tight game than $25 NL is. ABC and value betting is still the way to go, but depending on your reads, bluffing OCCASSIONALLY and stealing can start to be profitable now, especially vs. the tight regulars, who in many cases have not yet leared to be aggressive enough to combat it well.

$100 NL - The game takes another shift here - it once again gets looser and there are still a good number of bad to very bad players. ABC will STILL get you the money, as will value betting, but you have to be more careful here. The regulars are now getting very good in some cases (and there's more of them), and the tatics you used at $50 NL won't always work, as they've learned how to be aggressive in good spots as well. Tread lightly around the better $100 NL regs and focus on the fish. One more note - the
fish get better as you move up too. TPTK, while very good at $10 NL and usually good at $25 NL, will usually get you stacked at $100 NL, even vs. a fish. Even still, value betting is your best bet & stay away from FPS.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
 is offline

at Pokerstars

10NL play abc poker. Overbet your big hands and see them stack of with Tptk. Cbet don`t bluff

25NL aggree. Starting to see regulars. ABC poker. 3bets usualy mean big hands. Cbets work like a charm. You get a basical understanding of position.

50NL you have to learn to 3bet and learn board texture for CBets. Much more regulars. Game selection starts to become much more important. You start to learn more about the importance of position. Learn when to cbet, 3bet, and betsizing for value and protection and you will be winning in no time.

100NL. Concentrate even more on games selection. learn to 3bet and occasionaly 4bet. learn when to checkraise or 3bet on flop. correct betsizing and value betting. People checkraise and shove draws more then in 50NL. More semibluffing. Players defend their blinds more and also float more.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 PM

What would you say change from 100NL to 200NL? I am very intrested, I have taken a few shots at 200NL but am trying to go up perm when my roll allows it.