Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Default 24 Turbo 6 max FT

So I was at the final table of a 60 person 6 max tourney on Cake and a hand came up like this.

Villain 1: tight and was trappy and liked to make smaller value bets earlier in the tourney, but now hes playing like you would expect a smart player to play with an M of like 7.

Villain 2: Was chip leader but has been worn down through not teriffic play.

Hero: Playing Push fold lately picking up blinds and steadily increasing.

The hand: 1250/2500 blinds 200 antie

V1 Button (36000) Raises to 6600
V2 SB Pushes for $26k
Hero BB (35k) What do I need to call here.

Payouts are $200/$300/$440

I was thinking that the way Button was playing that he was going to call the push for sure. So I'm left with what hand will I want to get in there when I'm pretty much guaranteed $100 cEV by folding.

I think I want to call KK+, AK and fold all others, but maybe just call AA. I'm asking this because I obviously folded the best hand preflop but I am still not sure it was wrong.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: 24 Turbo 6 max FT

as you have to see it as a blind battle i think you don't need to assume the range too tight.
the basic question is if you would like to take the multiway-pot-risk - with AA you are about 65%, but with KK you are down to about 50%, if you think the button will call.
if i think i am the best remaining player i avoid committing all my chips in a multiway pot (except i am the shortstack and want to triple up to have a chance of finishing first), cause i'm likely to bust out (even if i'm able to win a lot of chips there).
so personal i would call this with AA and maybe KK, though i know this range is much too tight to be +cEV.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 PM

See thats what I was thinking. I just didnt want to risk it. Anyone think you need to call wider then this?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 AM

Ok, villain 1 is playing like a smart player, which means his range can be fairly wide here, think of all the hands you'd raise with on the button 3-handed. Villain 2 you said has not been playing so well, so you can't assume he has a monster, some people fall in love with their suited KQ here. There's no way I'd fold QQ here, and I might be tempted to play an AQs. I'd even be tempted by JJ, TT, and AQo, though I think I'd fold all those. Now, if V1 was the reraiser, I'd be much tighter.

One other thing to consider- did you just recently get into the money? Some people in these turbos just wait until the money and then go all-in every hand, if you just hit the money I'd be a little looser with my requirements.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 PM

No, we had been in the money for a while now, I think top 7 or 8 paid. What is the worst hand that you think bad villain shows up with here? I ask because I was suprised what he had.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, we had been in the money for a while now, I think top 7 or 8 paid. What is the worst hand that you think bad villain shows up with here? I ask because I was suprised what he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian number 2? Honestly from your description Im goin with 88+ KQ+ and maybe even dumb hands like J10s

Edit: My reasoning is that you said he was the chip leader and has lost his chips recently through bad play. He could easily be susceptible to tilt or "ZOMG I need to make a move now with anything look how few chips I have" moves and picked the wrong spot.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM

He had K8o and V1 called with kjs ended up with board straight.

Anyways Im not being results oriented, I folded AQo just like one poster suggested and I think this is the right thing to do and I'm glad most agree.