Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Multi-way for 2-bets. What to do w/ K-Jo in the BB?

Ok, I don't know if this belongs here or in the theory forum but I know the people here so......

This sort of situation has been causing me some trouble so I want to ask what most of you do.

Say UTG raises and a bunch of people cold-call. You're in the BB w/ K-Jo. I've been calling and having nothing but trouble w/ the hand. The other night the flop came J-5-6r and I lost a bunch. I ended up HU against another player but never mind the ugly details. If anybody wants to discuss how they approach this type of hand I'd appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Multi-way for 2-bets. What to do w/ K-Jo in the BB?

You should fold preflop and "accidentally" turn your cards up as they hit the muck...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 PM

I honestly think you are forced to call with this hand if you are getting better then 9:1.

Particularly against an UTG raise, flopping top pair is not so good. You are pretty much going to check any flop and watch the action around the table before you decide how to play, and folding one pair is not at all unlikely.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 PM

The blinds are always trouble anyway but many good players will limp with this hand. It really is a hand that cant take much heat. A raised pot is trouble. Lay it down unless the flop smacks it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 PM

call PF but tread cautiously.

folding getting 9:1 is absurd imo even w/ the reverse implied odds.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM

I'm calling, but I want to flop big before continuing. I would say you could play it like you would 67s or the like. Flop 2pr, trips, straight or flush draws- if you don't then fold.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 PM

easy call.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 PM

I completely understand your dilema.

I think if a solid UTG raises and it is folded to you in the BB it's an easy fold. In a multiway pot, a fold is not a bad play either, however I will usually call getting long odds, but you must be able to get away from your hand postflop when you sense you're beat. Check most every flop, and use the information that you've aquired from the flop action and proceed from there.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think if a solid UTG raises and it is folded to you in the BB it's an easy fold. In a multiway pot, a fold is not a bad play either, however I will usually call getting long odds, but you must be able to get away from your hand postflop when you sense you're beat. Check most every flop, and use the information that you've aquired from the flop action and proceed from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input Jeff (and everybody else). Since posting I've been giving it some more thought. It seems like it's proper to call getting good odds but what sort of flop do we like? Flop top pair w/ either the King or Jack and we could be in trouble. Flop top 2 and we could STILL be in trouble. Flopping a draw and getting there might be a chop. I think I'd rather be calling with the other end of the deck.

As an aside, Jeff:

In this particular hand I couldn't check the flop because SB led so I raised. The rest was ugly but I couldn't get away from top pair/decent kicker w/ so much in the pot against that particular opponent. Sigh.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input Jeff (and everybody else). Since posting I've been giving it some more thought. It seems like it's proper to call getting good odds but what sort of flop do we like? Flop top pair w/ either the King or Jack and we could be in trouble. Flop top 2 and we could STILL be in trouble. Flopping a draw and getting there might be a chop. I think I'd rather be calling with the other end of the deck.

As an aside, Jeff:

In this particular hand I couldn't check the flop because SB led so I raised. The rest was ugly but I couldn't get away from top pair/decent kicker w/ so much in the pot against that particular opponent. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my original reply, a fold is not bad preflop as you aren't giving up much and won't put yourself in a position to make some difficult decisions.

With the SB leading out, raising is definatly the play but you're still in a tough spot if you get a caller or two because you will never know where you stand.

"what sort of flop do we like?"

Trips, top two, an open ender or even a gutshot since you'll probably have the implied odds to peel and try to take down a monster pot.