Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Where would be a good place for a \"Man vs. Wild\" type of adventure

[ QUOTE ]
It's a bit further than you asked for but I have to recommend the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Minnesota

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the US side, go straight to Quetico Provincial Park on the Canadian side. They get 1/10 the amount of visitors as the MN side. Canada didnt screw things up like the US did by building roads to all of their parks.

http://www.quietjourney.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Where would be a good place for a \"Man vs. Wild\" type of adventure

Apparently you can hike from Canada to Mexico along a western route that takes you across the Sierras in CA. I met a guy doing that one time. He had food and stuff mailed to him at various points along the way. Looked like a trip of a lifetime.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently you can hike from Canada to Mexico along a western route that takes you across the Sierras in CA. I met a guy doing that one time. He had food and stuff mailed to him at various points along the way. Looked like a trip of a lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the Pacific Crest Trail. I dont know if you can actually go all the way to Mexico via the PCT since I think it goes right into LA, but not sure. I have heard you could go all the way north though.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

sounds awesome but I would probably bring some canned/dried food just in case u have trouble catching them varmints/fish! obv only use it if absolutely necessary.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the Pacific Crest Trail. I dont know if you can actually go all the way to Mexico via the PCT since I think it goes right into LA, but not sure. I have heard you could go all the way north though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes the whole way.

If you are looking to get "lost" with nothing but a knife and thats it, well, if you are serious, you could easily die. Its not the same chance as getting into a car accident. You walking into the wilderness would probably be a very high chance of needing rescue. Please don't do it. Lots of people get rescued every year from non-remote areas with plenty of experience, others die.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 AM

North Philly
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes the whole way.

If you are looking to get "lost" with nothing but a knife and thats it, well, if you are serious, you could easily die. Its not the same chance as getting into a car accident. You walking into the wilderness would probably be a very high chance of needing rescue. Please don't do it. Lots of people get rescued every year from non-remote areas with plenty of experience, others die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna have just a knife. That's retarded. I'll have a few knives, a hatchet, fishing line/hooks, some parachute cord, GPS thing, and maybe a few other things. I'm looking for a place where it's not really hard to find fresh water and food, and not a harsh climate.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 AM

Alaska is the obvious choice.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever been to Big Bend National Park?

- 800K acres

- The least visited National Park in the lower 48 states.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't go here for this type of adventure. Good chance you'll die. People die here on a well traveled 30 mile trail.

The Boundary Waters have been suggested. I've spent a lot of time here, and some in Quetico, on the Canadian side. You're a lot less likely to die here as compared to BBNP. Bring a fishing pole.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another idea is to take the train from durango to silverton. You can get off halfway through in some pretty rugid wilderness. A buddy of mine did this for like 4 days and said it was pretty amazing. IM pretty sure you dont need any permits or anything.

http://www.railsnw.com/tours/Durango....htm#needleton

[/ QUOTE ]
I did this, but it's not that remote. A lot of peak baggers head through here as there are 3 in close proximity. Anyone thinking of doing this, spend some time in Chicago Basin, it's amazing. The goats are relentless however.