Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

as usual a bunch of wrong info comes out.

1. springs dont tend to get weak from sitting compressed in a mag. but you are betting your life on it. but you shouldnt let your gun sit in the closet for a year and expect it to work unless its a revolver. even then you need to give it some use.

2. a shot gun at very close range only puts out a very small circle of pellets. maybe only less than a foot wide. too easy to miss as you dont have time to bring it up and aim. and its unweldy around corners.

3. what stops soneone is the bullets expending energy inside the body. so a expanding bullet is what works. a bullet can go thru and still do tremendous damage. another can stay inside and do little. the lighter weight bullets in most calibers do the most damage as they expand because of their higher velocity.

4. a little .22 that is fired from someone that is very familiar with it. is much more potent and likely to win than a bigger caliber gun that isnt familar.

5. racking the slide is fine on tv. all it does is give away your position and you could have been shot already while walking around with an unloaded weapon.
if you want to give a warning -yell- get out the police are on the way.

think before you pick up a gun.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 AM

Wow that is an insane law.

Agree 10000% on getting a dog. VERY VERY intimidating to most anyone, and legal repercussions for anything that happens are next to nothing, compared to use of a gun.

Plus, some people will target your house specifically to steal a gun, if it's known you have them for defense(don't show off to your friends!). But the chances that someone will come to your house to steal your vicious dog are as close to zero as you need to worry about.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 AM

vs. the responsiblity for possibly taking another human life?

Not to be flip as I am dog owner as well. I am just saying that if you are going to purchase a firearm for home defense you have to be mentally prepared for the possibility that you may have to use it. And in doing so may cause the ending of another human life. It is not something to be entered into lightly.

For the record I am also a gun owner and think of owning a firearm for home defense is more like insurance. Something that is good to have, but would rather never have to use it.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 AM

I'd hope nobody is actually looking forward to using it. But I've been wrong before.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 AM

Ray, I agree that nothing is more useless than an unloaded gun. I also agree that it does give away your position(much the same as yelling does). However by working the action on a pump shot gun you are, as I am sure you are aware chambering a round for firing. I was just saying that the sound is unmistakable, and may act as a deterent.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 AM

Ray, This part of your post confuses me.

[ QUOTE ]
2. a shot gun at very close range only puts out a very small circle of pellets. maybe only less than a foot wide. too easy to miss as you dont have time to bring it up and aim. and its unweldy around corners.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that most of the people on 2+2 would be horrible with a pistol if they don't actually take it seriously, but hitting/killing someone in your house with a shotgun should be super easy.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as usual a bunch of wrong info comes out.

1. springs dont tend to get weak from sitting compressed in a mag. but you are betting your life on it. but you shouldnt let your gun sit in the closet for a year and expect it to work unless its a revolver. even then you need to give it some use.

3. what stops soneone is the bullets expending energy inside the body. so a expanding bullet is what works. a bullet can go thru and still do tremendous damage. another can stay inside and do little. the lighter weight bullets in most calibers do the most damage as they expand because of their higher velocity.

4. a little .22 that is fired from someone that is very familiar with it. is much more potent and likely to win than a bigger caliber gun that isnt familar.

5. racking the slide is fine on tv. all it does is give away your position and you could have been shot already while walking around with an unloaded weapon.
if you want to give a warning -yell- get out the police are on the way.

think before you pick up a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,

Good post but I'm pretty sure you did not mean to say that a shotgun blast will expand to a foot in very close range. I'd hate for more wrong and commonly misunderstood [censored] to come out.

J
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 AM

WTF I start a thread about guns and people tell me to get a [censored] dog? Every yuppie dork and their mom has a dog. No one cares about dogs. I hate dogs and their stupid barking and pooping. But most importantly, I'm allergic to them.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 AM

I'm not going to be saying anything new, but I'd say get the Glock 19. if you want something a little snazzier that requires a little more maintenance, take a look at a Beretta 92FS. it's a sweet piece.

if you want .45s, try a Sig P220 or some 1911. I guess you can get the Glock .45 if you want, but a 1911 is so much cooler. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

plus, you can buy a conversion kit for a 1911 to fire .22 calibre, so you can practice cheaply if you choose.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 AM

a shotgun will expand maybe up to a foot in width at close range. very close it may only be a few inches wide. very easy to miss as you arent going to be able to bring it to your shoulder and aim it. a pistol gets extended and fired.