Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Default 44 against a lead, now what. 4/180

Villians smart enough to realize the flop is rags but not dumb enough to have complete junk here. Can we shove? Fold? What are we thinking here? Maybe a couple of broadways, pair?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t11085)
Hero (t9837)
SB (t6335)
BB (t10545)
UTG (t7090)
UTG+1 (t5082)
MP1 (t8168)
MP2 (t12585)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t400, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t800, CO folds.

Flop: (t2575) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1600</font>,Hero ????
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: 44 against a lead, now what. 4/180

Just fold it and move on. He probably has an 8 here, flush draw or combo draw..I guess if u raise big u may get him off his hand, but u really want to risk it?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold it and move on. He probably has an 8 here, flush draw or combo draw..I guess if u raise big u may get him off his hand, but u really want to risk it?

[/ QUOTE ]

What 8 can he possiably have if he's not playing junk here? theres only 88 that I can think of.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 AM

Your PF raise sucks. Raise more, or limp, or fold, but don't make a pot sweeting raise when you don't have enough chips to need it.

Now you have to deal with the spot created by your pot sweeting raise. Big pot, marginal hand, no room to maneuver. Him donking into you here is pretty suspicious, maybe he's taking a stab thinking you missed the flop. A shove is pretty much a total bluff, I mean maybe he'd call with AK but even then we're just slightly better than a flip, and he may have some monster like a flush draw and 2 overs. This is a PP a lot trying to see where they're at, the problem is that they bet with that intention, then you try to tell them they're beat, they convince themselves you're bluffing and call. I don't like the idea of trying to get someone is a 4/180 to fold a better hand, so I'd just muck here and keep a decent sized stack intact.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 AM

This is a fold.

Best case he has two over no draw ( lets say A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

He now has 9 outs on the turn( 3 A's. 3 T's and 3 8's) and 12 on the river (assuming a card over 5 comes).

More likely he has two overs and a draw. Lets say A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Now he has about half the deck.

Possibly has A 8 and your way behind.

Could also have 99, 88, or maybe TT. and your again way behind.

Ken
Old 08-08-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your PF raise sucks. Raise more, or limp, or fold, but don't make a pot sweeting raise when you don't have enough chips to need it.

Now you have to deal with the spot created by your pot sweeting raise. Big pot, marginal hand, no room to maneuver. Him donking into you here is pretty suspicious, maybe he's taking a stab thinking you missed the flop. A shove is pretty much a total bluff, I mean maybe he'd call with AK but even then we're just slightly better than a flip, and he may have some monster like a flush draw and 2 overs. This is a PP a lot trying to see where they're at, the problem is that they bet with that intention, then you try to tell them they're beat, they convince themselves you're bluffing and call. I don't like the idea of trying to get someone is a 4/180 to fold a better hand, so I'd just muck here and keep a decent sized stack intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT... I hadn't thought about this.