Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Aggression in Limit vs No Limit

Playing limit hold em properly requires aggression, wringing value out of your weak hands. Playing no limit has been described to me at times as requiring more of a semi-aggressive or passive-aggressive style in order to play correctly.

I think that I am sometimes too aggressive when moving over from limit to no-limit. For example, when I flop trips in limit, I habitually bet and raise on the flop. When I have the same hand in no-limit, I think that I am probably too aggressive at times.

Any thoughts on the differences in the necessary aggression when playing limit vs. no limit?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Aggression in Limit vs No Limit

Generally what I see the problem being with limit players isn't that they are too aggressive specifically. It is that they overvalue marginal hands, possibly because they don't realize just how marginal they are.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is that they overvalue marginal hands, possibly because they don't realize just how marginal they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty accurate. This is one of the biggest adjustments I had to make when I switched, and I'm still ironing it all out.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 PM

I might expand on that idea, Grunch. In limit, we often extract value from our marginal hands by either betting when our opponents don't tell us we're beaten or by calling down when our opponents do say we're beaten. In NL, we can often do better than this by inducing bluffs with our marginal hands when our opponents don't tell us we're beaten, or folding when they do.