Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Need help devising an easy physics question that sounds really har

Ask him what the term for the third derivative of position is. When he calls you a jerk, tell him there's no need to get nasty.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM

A man drops his prize golden elephant statue (10 kg) out a window by mistake. Immediately after realizing his mistake (5 seconds later), the man (100 kg) in a lapse of judgment dives out the window to save his statue. Will he catch the statue in time? If not, how much will he miss it by?

Answers below in green:

<font color="green"> No, 5 second</font>

Rod and Tod are trying to cross a 15m river that is flowing very strongly. Tod runs across the bridge but it breaks off before Rod can get on. Rod (who can swim at 5 m/s) tries to swim across the river (flowing at 7 m/s). If Rod swims directly at Tod, how far down will he be swept by the river by the time he makes it?

Answers in blue below:

<font color="blue"> 21 meters </font>
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM

once on a old physics test, we got asked a really simple question about electricity forming a green ball or something at the tip of a metal rod that comes to a point. but i really don't remember what the quest was or the answer, but its in my old physics book.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A man drops his prize golden elephant statue (10 kg) out a window by mistake. Immediately after realizing his mistake (5 seconds later), the man (100 kg) in a lapse of judgment dives out the window to save his statue. Will he catch the statue in time? If not, how much will he miss it by?

Answers below in green:

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to specify a falling distance for that question not to be way too easy. any decent test taker with no knowledge of physics should be able to figure that out based on the info given.

[ QUOTE ]
Rod and Tod are trying to cross a 15m river that is flowing very strongly. Tod runs across the bridge but it breaks off before Rod can get on. Rod (who can swim at 5 m/s) tries to swim across the river (flowing at 7 m/s). If Rod swims directly at Tod, how far down will he be swept by the river by the time he makes it?

Answers in blue below:

<font color="blue"> 21 meters </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

this is worded wrong/unclearly. if he keeps swimming directly at tod, meaning he turns as he's being pushed downstream, the answer will change. in fact, he'll never get across.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Superman, Batman and Spiderman hang their penises over the edge of a building...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM

http://www.dhmo.org/
Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just make sure you don't word it confusingly, or it will turn into a huge debate...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who'd ever want to debate the wording of a Physics question?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Answers below in green:

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to specify a falling distance for that question not to be way too easy. any decent test taker with no knowledge of physics should be able to figure that out based on the info given.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll show my stupidity. I have hardly even any high school physiscs but this seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't the objects mass density be a a factor causing the, most likely, compact elephant thing to fall faster?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Answers below in green:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll show my stupidity. I have hardly even any high school physiscs but this seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't the objects mass density be a a factor causing the, most likely, compact elephant thing to fall faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you never got to throw a bowling ball and an egg out of the window in school?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Answers below in green:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you never got to throw a bowling ball and an egg out of the window in school?

[/ QUOTE ]

I must've been sick that day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have however thrown a feather and a stone out a window and I swear to the stone dropped faster. Is the object's shape relevant? God, I feel like a fourh grader.