Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: MTT SAT-tightening up my play hand analysis

[ QUOTE ]
i dont agree on checking the flop, since a solid player will not limp with AJ AQ and i think he is holding a small pair or some SC and a big raise (squeez) will most likly take the pot down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that you mean "preflop". And the concept of the "squeeze play" is hopelessly abused in this forum ... You are HU with one limper this is no squeeze play as Villain is last-to-act if you raise. A squeeze usually is "raise-call-reraise".

OK, here you have no certainty that Villain will fold to a "big raise", so you just throw away your chips. What is a big raise in your mind? ATo is a wonderful hand here to see a flop. If you plan to take the pot preflop you could do this with any two as you´re surely beaten / dominated anyway if Villain calls / reraises your "big raise".

So, just check preflop and look what the flop brings. On the flop I would play ABC and lead out. Check-raising is no real concept to see "where you stand": what are you doing if he calls your c/r? You have the same information as if he flat-called your lead-bet, but paid more for it.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont agree on checking the flop, since a solid player will not limp with AJ AQ and i think he is holding a small pair or some SC and a big raise (squeez) will most likly take the pot down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that you mean "preflop". And the concept of the "squeeze play" is hopelessly abused in this forum ... You are HU with one limper this is no squeeze play as Villain is last-to-act if you raise. A squeeze usually is "raise-call-reraise".

OK, here you have no certainty that Villain will fold to a "big raise", so you just throw away your chips. What is a big raise in your mind? ATo is a wonderful hand here to see a flop. If you plan to take the pot preflop you could do this with any two as you´re surely beaten / dominated anyway if Villain calls / reraises your "big raise".

So, just check preflop and look what the flop brings. On the flop I would play ABC and lead out. Check-raising is no real concept to see "where you stand": what are you doing if he calls your c/r? You have the same information as if he flat-called your lead-bet, but paid more for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A limps means most of the time weakness, and he said the guy is solid, a solid player will raise with AJ.

On the flop you most likly ahead (only if he is holding a set) and with check raising you might take the pot on the flop, if he calls then you are building a big pot with a good hand since i dont see him limping with JJ or better.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A limps means most of the time weakness, and he said the guy is solid, a solid player will raise with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say anything else? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] As I said, that you are surely beaten/dominated if he calls I referred to AA/KK/AK.

Nonetheless, I disagree with the first part of this statement, a solid player should have a very, very narrow (!!) open-limp-range!! See the chapter of Andy Bloch in "Full Tilt Tournament Strategy Guide" where he tells us to "always be very careful when raising an ep-limper" (or similar). It essentially doesn´t make much sense to limp with 33-55 - just in the hope to see a cheap flop.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM

I bet about 2/3rd the pot on the flop. If he calls, I bet 1/2 pot again on the turn. If he still calls, I check and call any reasonable river bet.

Depends of course on what falls though. Another heart, K or Q are all bad and I'm willing to check-fold at that point. Or probe lead and fold to a raise.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

The consensus appears to be to bet out on the flop with about a 2/3 pot sized bet.

On a flush draw board I almost always bet more, but for some reason I chose to bet $380.

Under the gun Min raised me to $760.00. This is when my head starts to go foggy because I don't know what to do or where I am at.

I just called (mainly because the buzzer was rushing me and I didn't know what else to do, which I hate not having a reason for my decisions, thus this post).

Was this the best play? Why or why not?

(Side note-this is a weakness of mine in that I still focus mostly on my hand and not what hands my opponent could have. I did feel he probably limped with a pocket pair or maybe KhQh, but I thought 33,44 or 55 would be a stretch for most people to limp with under the gun)

The turn is the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now what?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Check-call, lead the river and crack his AA [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Check prf too.
I pot the flop.

Okay so now we have called a minraise so the pot is like....1800? And now we got another ten?

I think I donk the turn. He has to suspect we have a ten or a flush draw and I'm not sure checking here get's any money in (unless we're beat of course). Throw out what seems like a block bet or an enticer bet. Say 1000?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 PM

BUMP