Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Default goofy cash game structure

I usually play micro stakes with my friends.. .1/.25 with $20 buy in... most of the guys really stink and don't mind just giving money away so I usually do extremely well...

next weekend they are proposing a different structure which is pretty silly... $1/$2 blinds, but only a $40 min buy in... I know these guys are all just gonna buy in for the minimum so it is gonna be a WTP style all-in fest... My first thought is that my edge is gonna disappear in this crapshoot... but on the other hand, I doubt these guys would even understand how to play effectively with these short stacks (I could easily see some of these guys putting half their stack in preflop and folding when they miss the flop)...

my main question, if I decide to play, is if everyone is on a short stack, do I gain any advantage by buying in with a bigger stack, or should I just play a nitty push/fold short stack game?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: goofy cash game structure

Let me introduce you to my pal Variance. She's a bit moody, but when you're not on her shtlist, everything is peachy.

First, is there any way to reduce the blinds a bit? Maybe .5/1? These blinds are ten times what they're used to, and halving it may keep them interested longer, as you won't be busting them as severely.

If I knew we'd be playing for a long time (at least four to six hours), and that these guys were fine dumping a few buyins (or more) on the table, I'd start with as much as didn't seem overpowering to them, and push the small edges. Make the big all-in re-raises, call light against a large range. Let them see that you're gambling it up. If you have to rebuy a few times, so be it. Your goal is to get as many chips as possible on the table, and you have to give action to get action. Set a liberal tone regarding chips and their value.

Then, as the night wears on, tighten up a bit, make higher percentage value plays, trap with big hands.

Profit.

It's very possible you'll be putting as much into the pot as everybody else combined, but if you have the edge, that's just fine. Make them taste that big stack. Make them want to have it again.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:06 AM

40 isn't really that low for 1/2. Usual min buy in is $60.

I'd play a tight game if they are as loose/bad as you say they are.

Pfapfap makes some good points regarding strategy if they are going to be playing scared.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Wouldn't you be forcing them to buy in for more?

:P
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make them taste that big stack. Make them want to have it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like dating advice.