Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: NL 10 - Back again with a river bluff

doesn't look like a good spot to me, you cant rep all that much and its a level where you get looked up by 1pair all the time

not a fan of preflop either
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF limp in I hate...It's a fold...

River bet is meh, however, Mp2 could likely have a draw and your 3hi isn't winning at showdown without firing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 PM

I'd agree with the above pretty much. PF I fold here. 23s is just a little too low, you're losing the potential to draw to a decent straight here. With 23s you're usually finishing the low end of a straight which can get you in trouble for obvious reasons. Low flushes can be trouble also, particularly if a 4th flush card comes out. I think PF here i'm looking for 67s and better really before I call. Possibly I call 56s on the button with a few limpers, but no lower.

Flop. The flop is pretty good for you, although as i've already said it's a really low flush you're drawing too, but as you were looking for a flush opportunity PF I guess things worked out okay. Personally i'd just let this hand go because the flush is too low, but *assuming* you're going to play it then you've got to raise here, its a good semi-bluff opportunity and you dont wanna miss out =) As has been said a raise here also sets you up nicely if he checks the turn. Dont worry about the PF raiser behind you, he'll be scared of the action if you raise here. If he re-raises go ahead and fold, but he will need a decent hand to do that with. If he had called also, you'd be in bigger trouble as you wouldn't know where you stand aganist 2 players instead of one.

Turn. Looks like he's drawing too, a weak bet followed by a check. I think a decent 3/4 pot bet here will take it down. Since you've gotten involved and the other guy doesn't seem confident there's no reason not to have a go at the pot.

River. He checked again, thats pretty weak, he's not shown any confidence in his hand. You're not winning a show down and I think he'll fold to a decent bet, so I think the river bluff is good. That is unless you know the guy is tricky and willing to check/call good hands on the river, that a straight forward player would be out with.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 PM

lmao no fizzle. Yes, preflop is bad Teddie, but suited connectors are not. Its just that 23 doesn't have the open-ended possibilities that say 78 does and a pair of 2s is much weaker than a pair of 7s in a lot of cases. River is not bad imo. Used sparingly its fine though. Also, of course any hand that calls is beating him unless 4s5s has some sick read and calls for the chop.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lmao no fizzle. Yes, preflop is bad Teddie, but suited connectors are not. Its just that 23 doesn't have the open-ended possibilities that say 78 does and a pair of 2s is much weaker than a pair of 7s in a lot of cases. River is not bad imo. Used sparingly its fine though. Also, of course any hand that calls is beating him unless 4s5s has some sick read and calls for the chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

idk maybe I oversimplified thing or maybe didnt make myself clear, but this play works far better on the turn than river.

Edit: See bottomsets analysis.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 AM

I'd also fold pre flop. I don't think the bluff is that bad, calling pf is worse.

I also don't see the point in trying to be a good bluffer in NL10. In the books I have read usually say that its not advised to bluff weak players, from my limited experience in poker I would tend to agree. In the micros I'd assume that learning to get the most value of your strong hands is far more important than to be a better bluffer. I so often see people calling river bets on very scary boards with junk, so if you want to bluff make sure villain is a person who can fold a better hand. I am often surprised that even though I rarely bluff villains still call my pushes with mediocre hands, because they know a lot of people try to bluff.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Preflop is a big abortion. Flop and turn are both fine and river is decent sometimes if you have a read.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If i bet anything on the turn it commits him, he is going to call me down with a T, Q or draw. The only hand he folds on the turn is a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the only hand he folds on the river is a bluff. Waiting until the river, however, gives villain one more free card to make a hand or improve his hand to the point he's not afraid of you. Shove the turn, if that's what you want to do. No need to wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

The backdoor straight and flush draws got there and the board paired. I could find a few folds other than my own bluffs in a similar situation. Is there something I'm completely missing here?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The backdoor straight and flush draws got there and the board paired. I could find a few folds other than my own bluffs in a similar situation. Is there something I'm completely missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes: The flush draw and board pairing didn't happen until the river, and the river only happened because the turn was check-check. If I was going to try a pure bluff here, I'd try it on the turn.