Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Structured limit vs. pot-limit

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate the help.

I prefer a limit structure for all the reasons listed, but my friend prefers pot-limit (which, as mentioned, can pretty much become an all-in game around fifth street unless the stacks are huge relative to the pot size).
Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Both you and Templar are correct...my post was poorly worded. I didn't mean to imply that the structure I described was ideal or even desirable. What I meant to say is that something close to the 1/8 - 1/4 - 1/2 ratios are commonly found in internet stud games.

Like you, I personally prefer something on the order of having the ante as 1/10 of a BB and the BI as 1/5 of a BB. As for the structures offered currently on sites available to US players, I prefer FTP's structure to PS's.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer a limit structure for all the reasons listed, but my friend prefers pot-limit (which, as mentioned, can pretty much become an all-in game around fifth street unless the stacks are huge relative to the pot size).

[/ QUOTE ]

If your friends don't like fixed-limit, but you don't think pot-limit is fun, you can try something like half-pot limit. On Full Tilt, I seem to recall Howard Lederer talking about playing something like one-third- or one-sixth-pot limit stud.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your friends don't like fixed-limit, but you don't think pot-limit is fun, you can try something like half-pot limit. On Full Tilt, I seem to recall Howard Lederer talking about playing something like one-third- or one-sixth-pot limit stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that turn the game into a spread limit game then?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the max spread would increase as the pot increases. I like the idea - mayhaps we'll try it.

I also recall for a while (don't know if they still do) FT had "Cap limit" games or something, where you personally could put a max of XX big blinds (or in this case, antes?) into a given pot. So if it's quarter ante an you can put a total of 18 bucks in, you could bet 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 for example.

But I think I like the half-pot idea better.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the max spread would increase as the pot increases. I like the idea - mayhaps we'll try it.

I also recall for a while (don't know if they still do) FT had "Cap limit" games or something, where you personally could put a max of XX big blinds (or in this case, antes?) into a given pot. So if it's quarter ante an you can put a total of 18 bucks in, you could bet 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 for example.

But I think I like the half-pot idea better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention cap limit games, I used to play them alot back in the 80's. Good times.