Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

As one who has been in and out of the cab biz for the last 20 years, I have had some pretty candid conversations with Vegas cabbies.

Several of them have told me that the companies pressure them to run up the fares. In Vegas they get paid on a 50/50 or so split system, with the company covering the fuel. Tips are not split, so the line about "working for tips" is somewhat true.

Anyway, the more fare they run up- the more the company leaves them alone. And the owners are some real scumbags from what I understand. Drivers have been lobbying for years to have the right to own their own cabs. Unfortunately, the cab company mafia continues to prevail.

I'm not trying to justify their behavior, btw. My first trip to Vegas was kicked off by a driver griping the whole ride to the Flamingo. I really wanted to tell him to stfu- that I was there to enjoy myself and not listen to his whining.

Nevertheless, there are reasons these guys do what they do. I really don't think they are sleazeballs by nature (for the most part anyway); they are simply under pressure in a very competitive environment, due largely to predatory practices by their employers.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 AM

I'm not familiar with the route from the airport, but complaining about a tip to me is one of the surest ways to get me to never tip you again and take my tip back if at all possible.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 AM

After reading this thread more carefully, I just wanted to take a second to thank those nice enough to comment on their positive taxi experiences. Hacking can be an incredibly frustrating and thankless job.

Let's face it- cab drivers are looked upon with less respect than fast food workers and ex-cons. And it is no wonder; there are a zillion guys doing their best to uphold the stereotypes with their apparent lack of hygiene and so forth.

As a result, guys like me (spotlessly clean cars, satellite radio set on a station to reflect the mood of the passengers, pleasant yet non-intrusive conversation blah, blah, blah...) are subject to the abuse many fares wish they would have given to the last douchebag that gave them the run around.

It can be pretty tough to deal with a car load of drunks or mistreated airline passengers unleashing their pent up aggression on us. And at the risk of making a lame poker analogy, we are out of position the entire hand. You are breathing down our necks and we have a hand that does not play well multi-way OOP.

I cannot even begin to articulate the abuse I have taken in this business. It never ceases to amaze me how the most well-bred segments of society- with all of their alleged philanthropy, enlightenment, and concern for the down-trodden- get off on degrading those in service-type positions.

OK, end of rant. Just try and be a little nicer to your cabbies. It ain't easy out there. And fwiw, I'm a major prick toward less than scrupulous drivers, too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, the Tunnel vs. slow way conundrum probably is not intended to rip people off. If I understand it correctly, drivers are subject to a huge fine if caught hauling passengers with the meter off. Trying to explain this to the public is a big pain in the ass, so the driver simply takes the faster way. And because of the threat of being caught not running the meter, said driver mentally justifies taking the long way as saving the customer time. Of course, rebating the difference is out of the question as this would ultimately cost the driver even more (since the company will still get their full cut of the tunnel route).

Yup, it's all a big mess. So try and go a little easier on your drivers. Sympathize with their battle with the company owners up front and you will automatically get better service.

I realize that this shouldn't be your problem as the customer, but it is what it is. Take my advice and you will make lemons out of lemonAIDS.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the Tunnel vs. slow way conundrum probably is not intended to rip people off. If I understand it correctly, drivers are subject to a huge fine if caught hauling passengers with the meter off. Trying to explain this to the public is a big pain in the ass, so the driver simply takes the faster way. And because of the threat of being caught not running the meter, said driver mentally justifies taking the long way as saving the customer time. Of course, rebating the difference is out of the question as this would ultimately cost the driver even more (since the company will still get their full cut of the tunnel route).

[/ QUOTE ]

DarkForce, I don't follow your comment here. Why would taking the surface route from the airport require the cabbies to carry passengers with the meter off? I have repeatedly had cabbies take me from McCarran to the Strip via surface and they just ran the meter as normal for any trip (plus a couple of dollars for the airport exit fee, also reflected on the meter).

As for the cut to the cab company, if it gets a percentage of meter (as has been suggested here) then a cabbie taking the surface route won't owe a percentage of the freeway route-- the meter will only reflect mileage from the surface route.

Am I missing an effect of one of the rules here?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM

In another cab driver thread on another forum, a local cabbie said that the split is not 50/50 but more like 70/30, plus the cabbies have to pay for their own gas.

Now I don't know what the truth is.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM

What DFR said is all true. Hacking is a very tough business, even if it weren't the #3 most dangerous job in the US. Only cops and firemen are more often killed.

It's also true that the companies put enormous pressure on the drivers to book. If they don't meet a min requirement, and it's way high, then they will lose their job. And the companies are always pushing for more cabs. If you think drivers are horrible, you can't even imagine the companies they work for. Pure scum of the earth types.

50/50 is the split out here.

Funny story. Tipsy lady just off a plane, she almost become hysterical as I leave the airport through the tunnel going to the CenterStrip area off Flamingo. "Don't go through the tunnel," she's screaming. "It's the way you people rip us off!"

"Lady, it's six bucks no matter how I go."
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

????
Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 AM

I was ripped off my last two trips there, massively, and I had exact change the last time on purpose and stiffed the SOB.
Im a MUCH bigger fan of AC where the max ride anywhere is $11.
Granted its $11 almost immediately but it cuts down on BS like that. Rip out the meters and designate about 6-7 routes. Downtown, strip , airport, etc. Say strip to airport is this, no matter which hotel, downtown to strip is this.......gets rid of the hassle and if you want to tip for a pleasant no haggle fast ride, tip. Then an overall max cap for ANY ride in the county. But I will never go to LV again without a rental.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even if it weren't the #3 most dangerous job in the US. Only cops and firemen are more often killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

????

[/ QUOTE ]

Airport shuttle. Flat rate. You're working too much.