Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will Larry Coker get fired this year?
Yes 9 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Mindless busy work threshold poll.

[ QUOTE ]
Goddamit my thread does not suck! I took like 5 whole minutes to think up this scenario and I have a poll and everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

AC,

This thread does not suck. It's a interesting question, one I posed to some family members last year during Christmas. My point was, I am paid twice what my parents are (I work in Software, my mom works for USPS), what would it take for me to leave my 'interesting' job for a much more repetitive job, such as the USPS, etc..

Personally, I would need twice my current salary to consider this kind of mind-numbing job. My job has a lot of flexibility, I can make personal calls during the day, take off early to deal with issues, come in late, as long as I a) get my work done and b) contribute to the company I work for.

If I was required to sit at a desk 8 hours a day on a fixed schedule, I would need a lot of extra $$$ to give up my current job flexibility which is worth a lot of money and piece of mind to me.

All in all, it's a matter of perspective. Joe-Blow Gas station attendant would take this job for $50 K in a heart beat, while someone who might enjoy their current job may want $300 K to take this position.

Thanks for the good poll, sorry for the flamers.

Finally, to quote from Office Space... Samir: "It would be nice to have that kind of job security."
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 AM

Could I bring in books and stacks of paper to read?
If so, I'd probably do it for a low amount, because I could effectively work two jobs (my current one is flexible)
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So gay, I can't even get fake jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 AM

I can't believe 2 people actually chose $25k. They can't be serious. No vacation time or benefits is mentioned but if neither are included in the job it would at least double my answer.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 AM

I chose $25k. Seems like a relaxing, no-pressure job. Just show up on time, daydream all day, collect your money at the end. I'm single and hardly spend any money at all so I could easily live comfortably on $18k a year post-tax, so that's $7k a year for health insurance and retirement (if those aren't included).
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM

I think it's one thing to take this job and say it's a 50 week a year job with needed sick days that can be flexible around family needs to an extent. It's a totally different thing to say you're there every work day for five years no matter what.

In the first case, I'd take $75k/year salary and be thrilled with it. A strict 9-5 job that takes no mental effort at all, pays my bills, and I can get set up outside of work with starting my own business so I'm ready to move to something better quickly after it ends. Easy as pie.

The latter case puts the job in front of my family, and that's pretty much never going to happen without a life-changing amount of money. Signing up for five years would never happen for me...there's no amount of money that makes it worth that. Signing up for a year, I'd take $2MM so that I can retire afterward.

- C -
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM

I honestly doubt any amount of money would be enough for me to ruin my life for 5 years.

I'd find a price point if there was decent holiday/vacation/sick time.