Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I guess to me, being almost 49yrs of age, drinking (or rather getting drunk) doesn't appeal as much as it did to me when I was much younger.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM

My best LV cab story was a few years ago. It was the middle of August (110 degrees out) and we got a cab from MGM to the Venitian (I think). The cab made horrible noises when we got in and one of the women made a comment. Cabbie said not to worry about it. We were somewhere behind Bally's and the cab BLEW UP. Completely stopped.

Cabbie told us that we had to wait for his car to get fixed. We just hopped out and decided to hoof it to the next cab stand. The women weren't happy because they had heels on, but it was better than sticking with our broken down van and more broken down cabbie who were both melting into the pavement.

Cabbie starts screaming at us that we owed him the 10 bucks on the meter. One of the women starts going at him and is about to strangle this poor sap. We just tell him to **** off and start walking with middle fingers extended.

He was not happy.

I wonder if that guy survived...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM

By the way, just found a useful page.

The Nevada Taxicab Authority publishes a list of fees and estimate cab fares from McCarran Airport to various hotels.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM

I hear these horror stories all the time. We hate cab drivers, and assume they hate us (limos and shuttles), but we can't be sure because they don't speak English. <--Joke

Seriously, tho, take a few moments to look over the above link and stand your ground. The TA takes complaints seriously.

I've heard all these guys do is drive and complain. Screw that. Hire us and save the hassle.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 PM

I think a cab driver asking, "So, is this your first time in Vegas?" as you leave the airport is code for, "So, would you mind if I completely screw you on this fare?"

First trip to Vegas some six years ago, cabbie asked us just that. Stupidly, I answer yes. Horray for a $22 fare to the Tropicana. Six years later, acting like you've been there before, a haul to the TI is $5 cheaper. Go figure.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM

I've had similar experiences with cabbies trying to squeeze out an extra buck. I wish they would get rid of the tipping and turn it into a flat fee.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 PM

I never figured out the tunnel thing. Is non-freeway much cheaper? My cab ride from airport was $21, back was $10. Hmm....

The cab driver also chatted me up, asking if it was my first time. I figured this was the screw-the-passenger-over trick, so I started going on and on about my previous gambling history. Anyway, he asks if I want to take the freeway "since it was faster" and I blank out and forget if this was part of the scam or not. Anyway, I say yes and get stuck with a $21 bill. So, are we supposed to say no to freeway?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 AM

I will add one positive to this. We were coming from downtown and going to the Flamingo and the cabbie missed the exit and went to Tropicana. He told us right away and turned the meter off right then.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once, I got to the airport with $11.60 showing on the meter. The cabbie immediately turned the meter off and said "that's $15". I proceeded to have an argument with him and ultimately gave him $14 (the $2.40 tip I'd been planning before his attempt at a scam); I wish I'd had the presence of mind to give him less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought no meter = no fare.

If someone tried to pull that, I'd bring up that technicality. It's not that I wouldn't have paid a flat $15 in this instance, but I'd do it on principle. I never have an issue with tipping of someone does his job well.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never figured out the tunnel thing. Is non-freeway much cheaper? My cab ride from airport was $21, back was $10. Hmm....

The cab driver also chatted me up, asking if it was my first time. I figured this was the screw-the-passenger-over trick, so I started going on and on about my previous gambling history. Anyway, he asks if I want to take the freeway "since it was faster" and I blank out and forget if this was part of the scam or not. Anyway, I say yes and get stuck with a $21 bill. So, are we supposed to say no to freeway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Per Google maps, McCarran to Harrah's via surface is 3.7 miles, and via freeway is 7.8 miles. Either way is 11 minutes without traffic, but the freeway will cost you about double.

If you're going to the west side of the strip, the freeway is likely to be faster than the surface, but will still be more expensive.

YMMV. Literally.