Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: I dont like how I played this one NLCASH

to clarify (2p2 was being mega slow earlier and i didnt elaborate)

you never really get paid and now you make your hand into a bluff where it has tons of showdown value... c/c turn is great b/c it lets villain think a Q or pp is good and/or he can bluff you off. i think this is unanimously agreed as the best turn line

for the river, it depends if the villain would go all the way with a bluff or raise a block bet or pay a donk off with hands he would check behind on. you should have somewhat of an idea already about this. if not, i think a b/c $45 is good.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Usually I think the answer headsup is that "it depends", but in this case i just think this is really bad except if the following preconditions are true:

1)Villian is straight forward and never bets two streets w/o an Ace.
2)Villian is a little weak-tight, and never calls a push with out at least TPTK or Aces up here.

In this case I think it would be a pretty slick play, as if he checks behind your hand is likely good, but if he bets you turn your hand in a bluff that folds most of his range.

That said, as described in this thread, this just sucks really bad and only would have worked out for you if you folded out a slightly better A/rag, or you had the best and anyway.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: I dont like how I played this one

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it either. Do you like calling this and donking river, straight betting turn, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the value of donking the river be? In my opinon, against an unknown it is usually standard to call the turn and fold the river short of a timing tell, that said, often early in a match I just fold A2 OOP so i don't need to get into guessing and re-guessing all the time. That might be a wimpy leak, but if it is, I think is a pretty small one.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 PM

donk bet reasoning is mainly for gaining value from hands he normally checks behind on after betting turn when checked to... it also serves as a block bet for non fh's against any weak opponent (most 50/1'ers)

i think he'd call a donk bet of 40 with a Q after hero c/c turn. i also think it would slow down all non fh aces.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM

I had played with this guy for a little bit, he was definitely aggro and willing to bet.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had played with this guy for a little bit, he was definitely aggro and willing to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I would either just make a decision and call down or not. The only reason I would bet would be to do so in such a fashion that in the course of the match I thin it would induce a bluff, in which case i would be calling his push.

Calling or not really depends on the flow of the match, if you were really deep you might make an arguement for a small flop raise for information, but with under 300BB stacks I see no reason to ever bet in this hand.

Also, i didn't follow up my comment, I am actually less likely to play hands like A2 OOP against agro opponents who can make 3 barrel bluffs, unlees I think it is a point in the match where they will be willing to try one against an obvious A no kicker. If I am not sure what their mental state is, then its probably not that profitable to play the hand at all, because they can put you to a really tough decision, and if they are good they will be bluffing with the appropriate frequency.

The question is, will he be willing to bluff on the river with a hand that doesn't beat the worst ace, and is this a large part of his range or a small part? In general, i think against most opponents a good line is check/call turn and check/fold river.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
donk bet reasoning is mainly for gaining value from hands he normally checks behind on after betting turn when checked to... it also serves as a block bet for non fh's against any weak opponent (most 50/1'ers)

i think he'd call a donk bet of 40 with a Q after hero c/c turn. i also think it would slow down all non fh aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats ok, if he never decides to push his Q as a bluff there. If I were him, if I had any idea that someone actually used blocking bets, I would push over that all the time.

Edit: what I really mean is that that is super super thin and I don't like it against all but the most readable villians.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:57 AM

I don't much like your preflop reraise.

Turn, check, think-call.

River, check if he's aggro.