Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 AM

Default out on a limb vs. a maniac

villain is a 60/50 maniac. he will raise/3bet/cap ATC preflop and fire three barrels post 100% of the time. he stops bluffing if you show resistance postflop, but would never go so far as to fold ace-high.

Hand 1:
Full Tilt 8/16

i raise KJo in MP, 2 folds, maniac 3bets from SB, BB folds, i cap.

flop comes T9x rainbow, turn T, river x and i call down.

Hand 2:
BB in this hand is loose-passive, about 50/10/.5

maniac raises on the button, i 3bet from SB with K9o, BB calls, maniac caps.

flop is ATT rainbow and i c/r maniac, planning to go into c/c mode after i get BB out.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Re: out on a limb vs. a maniac

1) I would let the BB keep the initiative PF.
2) I would look at BB's fold to steal, if he's not folding much I'd coldcall PF. If maniac's hand is really ATC I'd probably play the same, if he shows a little discipline with his caps 3 way I'd just fold the flop.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM

1) dont cap pre and the hand plays much better I think, KJ doesnt have much showdown value

so he donked the flop into ur cap then? I duno if i showdown. 9 river I definitely would.. is the x river the same index as the x on the flop or are u just saying they are random rag cards (not that its much of a difference in my mind)? callings not terrible if hes a terrible maniac but its gotta be very very close to neutral ev if not negative... a maniac will show up with Ax any PP QJ KQ KJ AJ ect on this board so ur not beating too much tbh, atleast a 9 river a few PPs got counterfeited... so i guess if the board double paired the higher the x the better (not sure he donks PPs tho? ...

hand 2 just fold pre, probably stop trying to out bluff/ maniac the maniacs
Old 08-05-2007, 03:56 PM

hand 1 i just capped for value, knowing that maniac would donk the flop and 3 barrel 100% of the time. the x's were not the same, but i don't remember what they were.

hand 2 i can maybe fold pf because BB will often call 2, but vs. maniac's range/postflop skill i give up a lot by not playing.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 PM

*Grunch*

1) Don't think the cap preflop is necessary, but I would tend to let him keep the upper hand in aggressiveness to exploit him further postflop. If he is truly raising 50% of his hands you are still ahead of his range so call down.

2) I would consider folding preflop especially if you think BB is apt to call. You will be in the worst position postflop and BB along with the maniac could make it very difficult.

I do tend to have difficulty playing against maniacs at the tables and sometimes get into the trouble where I know I am ahead of the maniac (if hu) yet multiway could be behind.