Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Call down? Or fold?

Villain is very loose pf, but plays ABC post-flop. When the 9 peeled off, I thought about going into check-call, mini-max mode, but yet didn't want to give a free card to a hand like JT, J8, A4, etc.

Does any one call down from the raise? Given his total disregard for the strength I showed on the flop, it's seems obvious I'm beat, but in 6max and the psychotic aggression of some of these players, you never know....

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Call down? Or fold?

this is a good card for your opponent to represent. the pot is sizable and you don't seem to have a good read, so showdown.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Without a read I call this down since the pot is big.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 PM

without good read i calldown too.
and my standard play pf is fold
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM

Free cards for A4 and JT do not matter. If he's raising for a free showdown with that few outs he's not gaining anything. I wouldn't worry about free card plays in short handed heads-up pots because they are rarely worth it and nobody really does it. Because nobody takes free cards in these pots, I like waiting for a safe turn card in these spots to go for the check-raise. If a scary card, like the 9, comes off on the turn, then I can just check call and hope he hit a weaker T.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 AM

Online I see too many retardo free showdowns to consider folding here without a decent read.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 AM

w/o a good read definitely show this down, id only fold this against a passive unimaginative player who I know wouldnt be trying a freeshowdown move
Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Online I see too many retardo free showdowns to consider folding here without a decent read.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry about free card plays in short handed heads-up pots because they are rarely worth it and nobody really does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you take a free card HU? If you have a medium flush draw or OESD and you have position over a passive player who donks into you on the flop, why wouldn't you take a free card if you raise the flop and he checks to you on the turn?

A passive player isn't going to fold to your turn semi-bluff especially if he has any part of the board.

Your pot equity isn't worth getting called on the turn by just one player.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry about free card plays in short handed heads-up pots because they are rarely worth it and nobody really does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a medium flush draw or OESD and you have position over a passive player who donks into you on the flop, why wouldn't you take a free card if you raise the flop and he checks to you on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a somewhat rare spot

As a default its better to bet the turn again beacuse your FE is worth more than the free card.

If you dont think you can get him to fold to the turn bet you should cosnider calling the flop since villain may very well donk the turn again (once a donker always a donker) or even 3-bet the flop.

It is rarely worth it to make a free card flop raise HU.