Tennessee 4-1 0 0%
Clemson 4-1 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried heirlooms?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't, and I really should. I have a longstanding and fairly irrational dislike for tomatoes. I just don't think they taste like all that much - mild and acidic, mostly. But the entire world seems to -swear- that a good tomato is better than sex, but the key is in getting a good tomato.

So it's me, and I know it, and that's fine. I still cook with them, I'm just not that in love with them. I should try heirlooms though, just to see if my opinion changes.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Sapo,

I used to be just like you until I tasted some really good farm fresh tomatoes and especially heirlooms.

Note that heirlooms have a very wide range of flavors, so you should try a few different kinds.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sapo,

I used to be just like you until I tasted some really good farm fresh tomatoes and especially heirlooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I never liked tomatoes when I was a kid. My parents always bought the standard supermarket crap, and then put them in the fridge (NEVER put tomatoes in the fridge, it ruins them).

Then one day like 3 years ago when I was really starting to cook as a hobby, I saw some wierd looking tomatoes at Whole Foods. Whenever I see a new or strange fruit or vegetable I always have to get some and try it. So I got one and WOWOWOWOWOW completely different. There's absolutely no comparison.

Do yourself a favor and get some good tomatoes. Then come back here and thank us, and cook some cool stuff with them.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really like tomatoes, so I don't know how many dishes I'll post here....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a love/hate relationship with tomatoes. I love tomato sauce but for some strange reason I hate tomatoes in solid form - slices, chunks, etc. Oddly, though, sun-dried tomatoes are more than fine.

As an aside (but on the topic of tomatoes), Blumetti's are the best jarred tomato sauces that I've ever had.

Pricey ($8-9/jar) and somewhat hard to find, but well worth it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 AM

El Sapo--Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I hope you do experiment with heirlooms this month and post your thoughts.

I planted an heirloom tomato variety in my garden this year. It's called big rainbow, if I recall correctly. I always grow one variety that's new to me every year. This one is nice, although I haven't gotten many yet. The ripe tomatoes vary in color from golden yellow, to warm orange, to red on the same plant. The insides of all the tomatoes I've harvested so far are orange. The flavor is good. I'm not so sold on the texture, but the occassional mealy tomato may be caused by my sometimes neglect of my garden this year. (Lots to keep me busy with a newborn at home.)
Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sapo,

Have you tried heirlooms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heirlooms are fantastic, especially in season. I always get them whenever available. To echo what another poster said, I can't believe that I went so long eating crappy tomatoes. I had no idea...
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Once you realize why commercial tomatoes are grown they way they are, it only makes sense why heirloom varieties of ALL vegetables taste better. One of the places I get seeds from has an interesting article about heirlooms:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/informat..._tomatoes.html
Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Also, I really wish I could taste what some of you guys are going to make...

I was thinking about making a soup with tomatoes AND herbs fresh from my garden. While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

Oh well, I'll think of something.

Deadlines?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major part of cooking contests is creativity. I don't think tomato soup would be quite the shoe-in you think it would be. There's some really good cooks around here.

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the OP, it will go all month.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major part of cooking contests is creativity. I don't think tomato soup would be quite the shoe-in you think it would be. There's some really good cooks around here.

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the OP, it will go all month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been here for over two years, and have much respect for the cooking skills in this forum. But that's irrelevant. If you don't think a simple soup, prepared well, can win a cooking contest; then you don't know much at all about this work son...