Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if this has been discussed before but a brief question regarding deathly hallows:
Hermione claims to have modified her folk's memory and sent them to Australia in order to protect them. However, right after Bill's wedding when the three of them are in the coffee shop and have stunned the two Death Eaters Harry suggests modifying their memories to throw them off the trail. Hermoine claims that she is not sure how to perform a memory charm. Am i missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
JKR answers this in the chat that's linked above. I think she says that there's a difference between erasing someone's memory (the 'Obliviate' spell) and modifying/confusing their memory (like Hermione does with her parents).

[/ QUOTE ]

Which seems kind of cheesy. Erasing seems like it should be easier. Modification would be erasing + replacing.

But it's a fantasy story, so I'm ok with that.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Which seems kind of cheesy. Erasing seems like it should be easier. Modification would be erasing + replacing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Modification would not include erasing. In the case of Hermione's parents, it's very important to be able to restore their memories at a later date. It's more a matter of hiding the original memory within the mind, giving it a replacement, and then being able to return the original memory.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that there was some discussion of parsel tongue being used by Ron in this book...on a reread we see that harry used parseltongue to open up the locket. That means it probably would have been pretty fresh in Rons mind as to how he remembered it when back at Hogwarts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry using parseltongue was months before Ron used it. Its definitely a pretty big stretch. Not that I care it was convenient for the story.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finland

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this remind anyone else of "Eastern Europe's favorite cat and mouse team, Worker and Parasite"?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that there was some discussion of parsel tongue being used by Ron in this book...on a reread we see that harry used parseltongue to open up the locket. That means it probably would have been pretty fresh in Rons mind as to how he remembered it when back at Hogwarts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry using parseltongue was months before Ron used it. Its definitely a pretty big stretch. Not that I care it was convenient for the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh not really...if you heard someone say one word in another language, more than likely you will remember the jist of that word. Thats why it took Ron several times to get an exact word.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 AM

what's the deal with Voldemort and the Room of Requirement... doesn't he see the 1,000s of other objects and think that hiding a piece of his soul in the room wouldn't be the best idea? Wouldn't hiding it in the Chamber of Secrets be more secure?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 AM

Just finished the book:

I was disappointed with the way Snape and Draco were used. It was obvious that both weren't evil after 6, but neither had a significant role in 7. I think it would have been awesome for either of them, especially Snape, to turn on Voldemort in the final showdown and help Harry finish him off. Instead, it turns out that Snape was on the good side for selfish reasons, and Draco is left in limbo as a bad guy who was too much of a pussy to kill anyone. I wish Rowling has us learn more about them and given them more conclusive endings since they were the two most intersting characters in the series.

I figured Harry would stay alive after he failed to sex Ginny in the romantic scene.

I also didn't like that Harry still sometimes was a prick. I thought he went through his emotional teenager stage in 5, and by the end of 6 was mature enough that the little squabbles with his friends wouldn't affect him. I also figured he realized by now that Dumbledore was the man; why was he so skeptical and distrustful of him? And wtf is up with him picking the stone when the cloak was clearly the right answer.

On that note, it seems that Hermione ends up looking the best in the series. She is more composed and rational than the other two and is always taking care of the little things that Harry is too busy to think about. She is grief-stricken about Ron leaving but manages to care more about Harry's feelings than vice-versa, a trend that's shown in the entire series. Compared to her, Ron comes off looking pretty useless.

I may have misread, but I was under the impression that Dumbledore wanted to know who specifically killed Arianna in the Mirror of Erised, not just to see his family.

There was nothing particularly unexpected in the plot. The cool plot twists in books 2-4 (Sirius's tale is my favorite) basically disappear in the second half of the series.

People keep saying that Voldemort had nothing to do with house-elves, but he did use Kreacher to help him in the cave.

Agree with OOT on two things. The epilogue was weak. We already know those four are getting married. Tell us something interesting. And the deaths were strangely chosen. Harry losing both his firebolt and Hedwig was upsetting. Would have liked to see Ron or Percy die instead of Fred. Tonks and Lupin was underdiscussed and sounded out of place.

I know my post is critical but I really enjoyed the book and the series. Loved the Dumbledore story, and the way Dobby, Kreacher, and the Dursleys were used. Felt the second half of the book was a little underwhelming and wanted to see something more brilliant in the end.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Just realized something... why were Lily and Harry the only ones who were able to cast a protective charm on others by wanting to die for them? Had no one else ever tried to die to protect someone else? (Like when Voldemort kills the woman while he is searching for Gregorovitch)
Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the deal with Voldemort and the Room of Requirement... doesn't he see the 1,000s of other objects and think that hiding a piece of his soul in the room wouldn't be the best idea? Wouldn't hiding it in the Chamber of Secrets be more secure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think the big difference as it is explained is that Voldy knew that DD knew about the Chamber of Secrets. It was being looked for as far back as when he was still Tom Riddle. But as the book says, he thought he was the only one to find the RoR and so by hiding it in his own special room he envisioned, he thought it couldnt be found. He also knew somehow that DD didnt necessarily know about teh room.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may have misread, but I was under the impression that Dumbledore wanted to know who specifically killed Arianna in the Mirror of Erised, not just to see his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, DD finds out who really killed when he duels Grindelwald (it is fear of finding out which causes him to delay fighting GW so long despite cries from the community).

The mirror would not show him who had killed her anyway, though it might show a vision where he had not, it doesn't show the truth but what the viewer mosts wants to see.