Oregon 4-0 0 0%
ND 4-1 3 5.36%
Oklahoma 3-1 0 0%
Tennessee 4-1 0 0%
Clemson 4-1 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest

Also, I really wish I could taste what some of you guys are going to make...

I was thinking about making a soup with tomatoes AND herbs fresh from my garden. While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

Oh well, I'll think of something.

Deadlines?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major part of cooking contests is creativity. I don't think tomato soup would be quite the shoe-in you think it would be. There's some really good cooks around here.

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the OP, it will go all month.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I think this would have a VERY good chance of winning if the judges could taste the dishes, I would put me at about a 30-1 dog in a forum contest, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major part of cooking contests is creativity. I don't think tomato soup would be quite the shoe-in you think it would be. There's some really good cooks around here.

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been here for over two years, and have much respect for the cooking skills in this forum. But that's irrelevant. If you don't think a simple soup, prepared well, can win a cooking contest; then you don't know much at all about this work son...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been here for over two years, and have much respect for the cooking skills in this forum. But that's irrelevant. If you don't think a simple soup, prepared well, can win a cooking contest; then you don't know much at all about this work son...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok dad, let's see this award-winning soup of yours.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM

I just got back from out of town. I have a couple of comments.

Soup? Sounds good! As long as it has tomatoes in it, it qualifies. About how good it is and whether that can be determined in an internet competition...

NaturalSelection is right that we can't taste the entries over the internet. They say "the proof is in the pudding" which was shortened from "the proof of the pudding is the eating." That is understood, but participants should include a recipe and when possible a couple of prep photos. There are many who have enough experience with food and food preparation to get an excellent idea of the taste of a dish from this. It's also not unheard of for people to try out each other's recipes and report their impressions.

The other meaning of the saying is that the quality of something is seen in the result. Whatever you are inspired to make rather than talk about it, do it, and post it. It's only then that you will see how it will be received and appreciated.

Oh and Please let's keep the tone respectful. Looking forward to everyone's entries. Now that I'm back. Time to think about my own!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and Please let's keep the tone respectful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girls just don't understand trash talk.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:47 PM

Can those participating include recipes/directions when they post? Share your secrets!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlines?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And another thing: I think it's pretty lame of you to talk about your amazing soup, and then not post it here just because you don't think it'll be voted the winner. It's not like the contest is for money.

This thread, and all the old ICOOT threads were mainly for exchanging ideas, recipes and skills. I'm sure there's many people who would like to see your soup, and will appreciate you posting it just as much as the winning dish.

I plan on posting several dishes here, at least one of which I know has no chance to "win."
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM

NS,

As Ron said, just post the soup and write about it, the main point here is to get lots of awesome tomato dishes and pics posted!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM

wow Ron, are you really serious?

I mean, I guess I regret mentioning the soup, it was really just a flippant comment that I made mostly in the spirit of saying how a simple dish can taste great. Especially with such a fine ingredient as garden fresh tomatoes. When I said it would be a 30-1 dog to win in a forum contest it was in no way implying that I think this contest is a joke. In fact, the first sentence of my post said I really wish I could taste what you guys were going to do. This means that I DO recognize the skill and creativity in this forum. So in your response you imply that #1: I think a simple tomato and herb soup is a "shoe-in" to win a cooking contest, and #2: that I don't understand the talent that we have in EDF's cooking enthusiasts. You're wrong on both counts.

When I made the post I was actually pretty excited about the idea of the contest and just wrote whatever popped in my head, sometimes it's easy to misunderstand tone when reading a post as opposed to talking directly. If this was the fault of the writing, I apologize. I don't think it was a troll post in any way and I'm sorry to everyone if it came across as such. In fact, in the post above that, I posted what I thought would be an interesting link for all you heirloom fans out there.

I really like this forum and am looking forward to contributing more in the future, hopefully in this thread!

p.s. Ron, if you're ever in Michigan (Lansing OR Detroit), stop by for a homebrew and some home cooking!

Oh, and HU razz 4 rollz obv too :-)

Edit: Mermade, nice first entry! love that first pic of the tomatoes, what great color... LOVE this time of year!