Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Default getting pwned

Hand 1: I raise pf with AQ, villain calss from BB. Flop is j,8,3. I bet, villain check-raises, I fold. Villain shows KQ.

Hand 2: I raise with TT. Same villain calls, but this time he has position. Flop: K,J,x. I check, villain bets, I fold.

Hand 3. I raise with AK. Same villain calls. (this is the 3rd time I raised and the 3rd time he's called). Flop 6,7,2. I bet, villain min-raises, I call. Turn: Q. I bet, villain shoves, I fold.

I just don't know what to do against this guy. If I make top pair I'll stack him, but I can't hit the flop. Should I just go to the felt the next time we play a pot, no matter what the cards are?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: getting pwned

if you think he is good then just change tables.

if he is bad, just stick around and sooner or later you will make a hand. There is no need to felt no pair. If I was going to felt no pair, I would have 3 bet shoved the flop in Hand 3.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I just go to the felt the next time we play a pot, no matter what the cards are?

[/ QUOTE ]

No
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM

If he is on your left just move.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I make top pair I'll stack him

[/ QUOTE ]

3hands doesnt mean too much

you could easily be setting yourself up
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM

I forgot to mention, after hand 1, he showed KQ.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I make top pair I'll stack him

[/ QUOTE ]

3hands doesnt mean too much

you could easily be setting yourself up

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...3 hands is nothing. If you start felting vs. this guy no matter what, his advertising (in Hand #1) would have worked for him, and he wins.

Instead of worrying about being run over and "bluffed out", pay attention to him when you're out of the pot - is he a donk, or quite good? If he turns out to be good, just tip your cap and move on. If he's a donk, then, yes, be much more willing to felt weaker hands.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Start to mix up your play against him for a while. Don't cb every flop. Check some flops that you hit.

Check/raise some flops you miss provided you at least have overcards as outs, or a pair that might be the best hand.

In all three of these hands, you raised a standard amount, cb a standard amount, and folded to pressure.

Hand 1, for example, you missed. So, check behind and take a free card vs this particular guy. Even if you hit TPGK or TPTK, check behind occasionally to induce bluff from him on the turn and river then call him down.

Hand 2, c/fold is probably the best thing here. But you might c/r on occaision. Given his history, TT might actually be the best hand at the moment. Of course, that would cost you another chunk of your stack to find out, so I like fold better here.

Hand 3, this is a bad spot for a cb imo. Either c/f or c/r vs this guy. If you really had an overpair, I like c/r vs him. I don't like c/c oop with only 6 outs to a top pair that might not even be the best hand. Also, on occasion, try limp/rr with AK instead of open raise to rep AA and take the pot down preflop sometimes.

My point is that he's putting you to a decision in every hand. And you are playing predicably. Mix up you ABC play a little just vs him for a while so that you put him to a decision for a change. Just don't go on tilt. If you c/r him with AK overcards, for example, then he pushes, you need to fold. This guy is probably bluffing a lot for small pots, but my guess is that once 50% of his stack gets committed he probably has a solid hand.

Alternatively, just leave the table. There are plenty of tables where this guy isn't sitting to your left.